Blind Fish Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayjangle

Aquarium Advice Regular
A while ago I was posting about the chaotic situation of my three goldfish and their two aquariums. Things have been much better for the last two weeks; all of my fish seem happy and healthy, the amonia levels in both tanks are in the safe zone, and the smaller goldfish I was panicking about is now the most active (albeit greedy) one of my fish.

I posted about the problems with my Black Moor. He is now much better, as said above, and his scales and fins have even seemed to repair themselves. His eyes seem more clear with the irises being back to their original bright gold color. However, I think he may be a bit blind. He recognizes when I walk close to the tank and swims to the surface to eat, but he seems to never be able to notice the food before his buddy snatches it up.

I've been feeding deshelled cooked peas to all my fish, and sometimes I literally hold a piece of the smooshed pea right next to his mouth, and he seems to act like nothing is even there and keeps nipping at the surface. Usually he will find the peas a little while after feeding when they have sat there. Is there a better way to make sure my fish is getting enough food?

I have the same issue with my moor. He's blind in one eye from high nitrate burns. I just make sure to drop food right in front of him. You can buy a divider (or make one) and separate him from the other during feeding time.

I've heard soaking the food in garlic can help them find it faster too. I've never had any experience with it personally but have heard good things about garlic and picky/blind eaters.

I've heard soaking the food in garlic can help them find it faster too. I've never had any experience with it personally but have heard good things about garlic and picky/blind eaters.

That makes sense :eek: given so many fish baits are garlic scented, I assume it would be just fine to garlic-up the peas before dropping them into the tank. :3 wonder if it makes the water stink, though...

Back
Top Bottom