Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2002, 06:47 AM   #1

blood gouramis

anyone here keep blood gouramis? do you have any aggression problems with them?

Old 11-08-2002, 09:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Grant R
I have pearl & gold, no aggression ever, in fact, the pearl one often likes to keep himself to himself.
I didn't realise there were so many breeds of Gourami !
Grant R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 10:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nejsux
I've never even heard of blood gouramis. I tried searching, but couldn't even find a picture on the net. Have you seen one? Is it dwarf or regular? I have seen dwarf red gouramis that are a deep blood reed at the tail and fade into a creamish-pink at their heads at my LFS.

Before I got any gouramis, I heard from a few people that they can be very aggressive toward other fish, but the only problems I have had is with one specific male. He is a lavender gourami and has a tendency to beat up on and nip at anyone who come near him or, whoever he feels like chasing if he's bored.

It's interesting because just last night, i saw him chasing one of my dwarf neon gouramis and then suddenly, both of my dwarf neons were chasing him. I guess he got a bit of his own medicine.

But anyway, no one been seriously injured, just nipped at a little bit. Boys will be boys. Hopefully the spunky little guy will make me some babies soon
Old 11-08-2002, 03:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to sunsplash76
I had a blood gourami in my 10 for quite awhile. I never had any aggression problems from him. He was actually quite timid really. He had no problem getting in the mix when it was feeding time, but never went after any other fish. Maybe it depends on their tank mates. Mine was dwarf, and he was a great fish. The appetite on gouramis is something else. Hope you are having a great day today, talk soon.
~Melissa~
Old 11-09-2002, 05:43 AM   #5

thanks for the replies, guys! 8) i have a sneaky bully that i can't catch in action....lol
Old 11-10-2002, 12:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

blood gourami

Do you know the scientific name of a blood gourami? I'm French and have never heard that name before. I've got a couple of dawrf gourami, (colisa lalia), but i was told they're different from the gourami you're atlking about
Old 11-10-2002, 01:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Grant R
I'm off to buy a Kissing Gourami for my last addition next Saturday, amazing & proper amusing fish !!
Grant R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 06:18 AM   #8

don't know the scientific name, but they are a deep orange at their tail with a bright blue stripe on their dorsal fin....and for the record, i have a gold that is a menace, goes to show each is different i guess....

Tags
blood, gourami, gouramis

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com