What gourami should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gouramiii

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, fellow fish,
I have a 5 gal that has already been cycled. The sparkling gourami that was living in there died after I fixed the tank up. (Injury from other fish I presume). My water parameters are 25 gh, 0 nitrite, ~0 nitrate, 1-4 kh, and ~6.4 ph with a 0.5 margin of error. I was thinking of getting either a trichogaster (either Laila or colisa) or a samurai gourami pair which I have tried before, (they just wouldn’t eat ANYTHING) or I can go back to sparkling gouramis…. By the way my LFS has these all. (However the samurais do go out of stock rather quickly…..)

Hello, fellow fish,
I have a 5 gal that has already been cycled. The sparkling gourami that was living in there died after I fixed the tank up. (Injury from other fish I presume). My water parameters are 25 gh, 0 nitrite, ~0 nitrate, 1-4 kh, and ~6.4 ph with a 0.5 margin of error. I was thinking of getting either a trichogaster (either Laila or colisa) or a samurai gourami pair which I have tried before, (they just wouldn’t eat ANYTHING) or I can go back to sparkling gouramis…. By the way my LFS has these all. (However the samurais do go out of stock rather quickly…..)

In a 5 gallon tank, I'd stay away from Gouramis in general. The tank is not really large enough for them. If you insist on keeping one in there, stick with the sparkling. The others need more space. What other fish do you have in the tank now?

As for why the original sparkling died, they don't take kindly to rapid changes in water quality so if you did any kind of major water change or added anything ( i.e. plant or rock) that would change the chemistry quickly, that too could have been the reason. They also do much better in a heavily planted environment with very low water movement. Is that how your tank is set up?

Yes it is. It was so over planted that there were no bad chemicals. I had to put them in in fact because the plants were starving themselves

Water chemistry stayed the same actually I am pretty sure the fish injured itself because it and the largest endler were biting each other….he died too

I know but I don’t wanna be giving false information. It be so confusing for other people ��

Back
Top Bottom