Bloodfin Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jehenry89

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought 6 baby bloodfin tetras in my newly upgraded and cycled 55 gallon tank. It has been up for about two weeks and I was able to cycle it faster since I used almost everything from my old tank. Anyway, the bloodfin tetras are not my favorite looking fish, yes they look cool but they were more for my boyfriend. I wanted to get a tetra species more for me and I was wondering if there is any species of tetras that would school together with the bloodfins?

Also in the tank are 2 baby striped catfish, 4 guppies and 8 mollies that are 4 weeks old that a friend gave to me for free.

Most of the time, and note I say "most", different tetra species won't actually school together. Every once in a while they might for a short time but not often. In my 220g I have Cardinal, Rummynose, and Diamond Tetra's and none of them school together ever. But often times I'll see my Cherry Barbs, especially the bright red males, joining the Rummy school and school right along with them. It never lasts long tho.

You can get a different tetra species or something totally different like Threadfin Rainbowfish, Purple or Regular Harlequin Rasbora's, Cherry Barbs, or any number of other fish just don't expect them to join the tetra school.

Other tetras may swim near the Bloodfins, but probably not school with them. It will depend what fish you get, but generally they only really school with their own kind. There are some exceptions, I'm sure, but in general, they prefer their own species to get close to.

Also make sure you will have room for them. Those mollies, depending what their breeding is, may reach as much as 4 or 5 inches in size. Some stay smaller.. but you won't know 'til they stop growing. That is a fair lot of fish already.

Do you know the species of the catfish ? If they are corydoras, not too much issue, but if they are Plecos or other species they can get very, very large, and are very dirty fish as well. Meaning they produce 3x as much poop as most fish the same size as they are. Some catfish can get to many feet in length.

If they are cories, they will be much happier if they have a few more of their kind to keep them company. 3 is the usual minimum number recommended, 6 is much better.

Ya thats what I read online and the answer I figured I would see but I was wondering if anyone had any type of experience that would say otherwise. Ill probably end up getting 6 more of the bloodfins in that case and give them more friends.

They are striped raphael catfish but when they get to big I am going to trade them in for smaller ones. They are only about 3 inches at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom