BN Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CcJ23

Aquarium Advice Freak
Either I did something wrong, or I found the greatest food in the world! So I renovated my 55 gallon and got some DW, boiled it, and added it yesterday.
, when I got the DW, I decided to try a new food for my plecos. I have 4 in the tank, a 2.5-3 in female calico, a slightly smaller calico female, an albino the same size as her ( think its a male) and then another albino that's about 2 in (think its a male). I didn't want two males (thought smaller one was a female) but until they both mature enough to be able to accurately tell, I'm keeping them. I'd like to try breeding them when they are older. Back to what I said, I got these new wafers and they actually smell like veggie matter! I drop one in at lights on and one before lights out. They go crazy! This is the third day with them and they do not stop. They love them! When I drop one in, the smaller of the females immediately finds it and when the other female comes over, she chases her away. Is that normal? When the males are near she doesn't mind but as soon as that female comes close, she wants her gone! When she grazes away she will let the males have it without a fight. Should I worry about that? Also what is typically a pleco's favorite food? ZUCCHINI right? Well for the first time, I got a zucchini, blanched it (I think?) and put it on a hook on a suction cup near the bottom of the tank. Nothing! I left it over night...nothing! They won't even touch it! Is something wrong with these fish or what? Also, if its worth noting, I got some earthworm sticks and threw those in, the plecos love those too! I got them a breeding cave too and put that in. Any advice on breeding? I'm not sure when they will be ready too breed unfortunately. Hopefully I gave them everything they want. Thanks ahead!

My BN go nuts for cucumber and blanched asparagus stems. They also enjoy blanched choko, broccoli stems, zucchini and snow peas. I grow my own choko because it grows like a weed yet they are expensive to buy at the shops.

About the breeding- mine got out of control- I never intended to breed them, but there was plenty of driftwood, caves and fresh food (they also go nuts for dried black worms) so it kinda just happened. I had to take out the logs and d/w to settle them down. They multiply very quickly and I ran out of grow out tanks. I didn't want them in-breeding so as much as I love the bushy faced males, one female would happily lay eggs for each one who had a cave! So the majority of the males had to go to the lfs :-(
That way I could keep more females to keep my tanks in order. (I change the water- they clean the tank. It's an unspoken agreement. Lol)

About the breeding- mine got out of control- I never intended to breed them, but there was plenty of driftwood, caves and fresh food (they also go nuts for dried black worms) so it kinda just happened. I had to take out the logs and d/w to settle them down. They multiply very quickly and I ran out of grow out tanks. I didn't want them in-breeding so as much as I love the bushy faced males, one female would happily lay eggs for each one who had a cave! So the majority of the males had to go to the lfs :-(
That way I could keep more females to keep my tanks in order. (I change the water- they clean the tank. It's an unspoken agreement. Lol)

Send your luck my way! Lol

Here are the fish. 2 Dark ones I think are female. The albino I believe to be male? Just measured him at 2.5 in. Half an inch of growth since September or October. That's the extent of his bristles though. Is he (?) old enough to breed? The other albino is in the cave. I'll get a picture of him later.

It's difficult to see the tiny bristles on an albino in the light.

Attachments

• image-188762758.jpg
    image-188762758.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 57
  • image-4071144919.jpg
    image-4071144919.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 61
  • image-2292879630.jpg
    image-2292879630.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 59
  • image-1349551448.jpg
    image-1349551448.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 65
And to my surprise, I have eggs! I don't know the mother, but the father is, surprisingly, the smaller male that I most definitely didn't suspect would be able to breed. So what now?! I only added a cave and switched the food a week and a half ago! What do I do with the eggs? How long until they hatch? What to feed? Do I separate them? I'm very excited!

Back
Top Bottom