BNP and vampire shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, a couple of months ago I added a young albino bristlenose into my shrimp tank.
Twice I've caught her on the back of my vampire shrimp holding on to it and kinda shaking it. The shrimp doesn't seem bothered at all but I am.
My question is, are these two ok to keep together? I thought they were that's why I bought her. I've attached a picture just too make sure she is a bnp.
Thanks 1440080476272.jpg

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

Looks like an albino bristle nose pleco. But I have no idea if they are good roommates or not. I am not familiar with Vampire shrimp. However my big male ABN started to use my new gold mystery snail as a soccer ball, and kept backing up then hitting him with his snout into the glass over and over. I had to put the snail into another tank for his safety. He has never bothered the zebra nerite snail, ghost shrimp or fish that he lives with. Alison

Thanks for the reply.
I've noticed my bristle doing the same especially around food, I'm also finding dead berried shrimp next to the veggies I'm putting in so I'm starting to become suspicious!

I would remove the BNP ASAP. Better to be safe than sorry. I wouldn't risk anymore shrimp, especially your big vampire shrimp!

Going to catch her, but the only place I can put her is in with my elephant nose! He'll probably bully her as he hates company. Just have to watch and hopefully they'll be ok. Thanks

I agree with the recommendation to remove the BNP. I have a vampire shrimp, and I have him with other shrimp and small fish. He is pretty skittish, and since he has no claws, I would worry about keeping him with any even semi-aggressive fish, especially when molting.

Does your vampire shrimp have a good place to hide? Mine hangs out upside down under a curved piece of drift wood most of the time. I pick it up once in awhile to make sure he's still alive!

I've kept the vampires for nearly 3yrs without issues, but my hubby bought me the bristlenose and I thought they'd be ok together, but the bristlenose is rough!
I've tried putting her in with my elephant nose but that only lasted for 10mins and it didn't go down well! So I had to put her back in.
The shrimp have their own hide but the bristle still goes in.

Back
Top Bottom