BNP's mating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crustyshellback

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently added a male BNP (about 3 1/2 inches) to my 93 gallon cube. The tank is set up to look like a salt water tank, and has a big fake coral centerpiece. I already have a female BNP that is about the same length. When I added the new one, the two started getting in to it. Not sure if they were fighting, or just getting acquainted. The female seemed to be the aggressor. Anyway, since then the male has been hiding out in the coral in a spot where you can hardly see him. I can see his tail moving from time to time, but as far as I can tell, he hasn't left that spot. It has been about 5 days. Should I be concerned? I thought he might be guarding a nest, but I'm afraid he could starve. Any advice?

Thanks
Don

Read more: BNP's mating?

Could be just on guard imo. If he looks ok from what you can see I'd try just keeping an eye on him and he should pop out eventually. If too concerning, then I have gently lifted up the cave to check.

It's possible that he is guarding eggs. He would be the one to keep the babies or eggs safe in the cave and she would be kicked out as her job is done, till next time. If so he will raise the babies. A lot of the time from what I understand , is that he might not eat during his cave guarding time. Alison

I literally had THE EXACT same situation with two bnp's the female was aggressive-ish resulting in the male hiding away and not eating much. Also moving his tail and fanning. I was told there were most likely eggs there so i gave it a week and he was still in there. I lifted the rock and saw no eggs, no wigglers, and my male seemed significantly smaller. I rehomed the female and the male is now bigger and more active.

IMO. If they are spawning you should see equal activity with the female and male. Apparently the male guards the eggs but the female will stop by and check her eggs. Id watch them and make sure you see activity with the female and the "nest". If not, THEN check for eggs. If theres no eggs id rehome one.

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

Since my last post, the male has come out and is all over the tank. Eating ravenously. His belly is pretty sunk in, but I figure if he keeps eating like this, he'll fatten up pretty quick. since he came out, neither one has revisited his hiding spot. I guess it was just a case of nerves.

Back
Top Bottom