Bob--- getting too big?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

How big is too big for bob before i need to find him a new home? He is almost 9 inches long right now.. we just measured him. But he still has plenty of room, turns around, muches on his zuchini... eats algae wafers. My tank is 4 feet long and he still has plenty of room to turn and move around. I want to get a bigger tank but that will be when i graduate from Nursing school May 5, 2006... but until that time... will he be ok in my tank? It has been my plan all along to keep him in this tank until i upgrade... do you think he will be ok until then? He's grown from 4 inches to almost 9 inches in about 10 months. So Im thinking thats 1/2inch/month. But im sure his growth rate has slowed down some.. even if it continues at the same rate.. May is 6 months away so that will be 3 inches and he will be about a foot long.

Here's some pics we just took.

Well, both Bob and Cliff are just growing too big for their britches LOL.

You have it mapped out pretty good, considering his current growth rate, which may not slow down all that much. At 12", he will take up a full 1/4 of the tank (measured lengthwise), producing a proportionate amount of waste.

The fact that you are preparing for the future is fine. If he grows out too much, you will just have to amend your dates. :D

PS - No fear...just stood there while being measured and photographed eh? ROFL!

Jchillin said:
PS - No fear...just stood there while being measured and photographed eh? ROFL!

YEAH!!! LOL... i love this guy. What are you planning on doing with cliff? Do you have a bigger tank already for him? And hey.. are you selling any of those bristlenose pleco's that you are breeding? Becuase i can't find them anywhere around here.

Well i am starting to save now for my new tank.. How big do you think i need for a full grown bob... i mean full grown pleco :lol: ?

Well, as you know, a full grown Bob (err...sailfin) can get to a foot and a half in size, but IMO, a 75 is just about right,...more space in the rear of the tank for manuvering.

I will have to remove a number of items in the tank to provide more space (they cannot help themselves at that size from uprooting plants and knocking over small items...LOL).

lol... we've been looking at tanks and my husbadn really liked the 72 gallon bowfront but i wasn't sure if that would be big enough... but if we can afford it we will get bigger!!!

A tank that's at least 48" in length and 18" in width is a pretty good size IMO. Height isn't AS important. :wink:
Hm, I just searched for the dimensions of the 72 bow and got 48x18x22, but I'm thinking the width is measured from the middle of the bow in the front to the back, since a standard 75g is 48x18x21?

Well its going to be at least 6 months before i buy so i can measure before i buy. I know it needs to be at least a foot and a half at the narrowest point so that he has enough room to turn around.

Jchillin said:
Well, as you know, a full grown Bob (err...sailfin) can get to a foot and a half in size, but IMO, a 75 is just about right,...more space in the rear of the tank for manuvering.

I believe the 72 bowfront is 18" at the sides, increasing to 21" as the "bow" expands outward. IMO, plenty of room.

Back
Top Bottom