Boesmani vs. Parkinsoni

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coldmachineUK

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking about getting a small group of these for my new community tank (the 32G has been upgraded to a 55G).
I'm leaning towards parkinsoni and can get hold of these. But, anyone keep either of them and what convincing arguments are there for either type! I'm open minded, so convince me! :D

They are both beautiful fish especially after they mature. I've seen them live together very nicely. I'm going to get both for my 75 gallon. The boesmani usually get blue in the front and orange/yellow in the back. There is more of a definite line between colors. The parkinsonis are a nice silverish color in the front, with more of a blochy fiery orange color in the back. Either one is a great choice. :)

In my experience the Bosemani's are more readily available and more hardy than Parkinsoni... I had two parkinsoni's die within 3 months after purchase...

doctorp said:
In my experience the Bosemani's are more readily available and more hardy than Parkinsoni... I had two parkinsoni's die within 3 months after purchase...

I keep a mix of Boesmani and Praecox, and so far the Boesmani have been extremely hardy- no losses at all... The Pracox unfortunately not so much.

Sounds like boesmani might be a better choice then. I do like the look of them. I've not actually kept rainbows before...new venture for me. I'm getting all experimental lately, branching out and away from loaches!

Any tips on keeping them? Things you've noticed they love eating/doing?

Bowheads! ( http://www.bowheads.org/ ) has some spectacular photos and all the info you could ever want. A nice, biggish group, and they're international, so could probly point you to the species you decide on.

I love rainbows, but I filled my tank before I could decide which kind to get.... :oops:

coldmachineUK said:
Sounds like boesmani might be a better choice then. I do like the look of them. I've not actually kept rainbows before...new venture for me. I'm getting all experimental lately, branching out and away from loaches!

Any tips on keeping them? Things you've noticed they love eating/doing?

My research came up w/ one thing to be sure of... Lots of swimming room. They are very active like danios, although slightly less zippy.

Mine are voracious eaters of everything. Frozen bloodworms seem to the fave.

devilfluff said:
Mine are voracious eaters of everything.

They will also take care of insects if you get a few in the house - I have put some ants in with mine, and a couple of small spiders - bam, they beeline for those guys. :twisted:

Ok, great info thanks everyone for the help!
I've decided to go with boesmani then I think. I wanted them as a centrepiece fish before I realised they're actually a schooling species. What sort of numbers do people recommend? This is for a 55G. I'd like to keep no more than 3 ideally, but I know that if they school... :(

Depends on what else you're going to put in the tank... You could do a small school of half a dozen and it would look great... as long as you aren't doing many other fish.

doctorp said:
You could do a small school of half a dozen and it would look great

Have you been looking at my tanks?

I have 6 Boesmani and 3 of the smaller Praecox in my 55...

I have yet to add bottom dwellers, but they are coming.

Back
Top Bottom