Boiling driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 3 pieces of African driftwood and I've been boiling it for 6 hours, changed the water once so far. It sinks, just trying to get all the tannins out. Is there a rule of thumb?

How long will this take? I even scrubbed it to get all the loose stuff off it. Still after hours and hours, still coming up a tea color.

I'll do this all night/morning if I have too.

in my experience, it releases tannins for a long while despite prep, so id just put it in after boiling and soaking for about a week. water changes get rid of the tea water, mine still dyes the water a month in... its getting a lot better though!

jnizzle said:
in my experience, it releases tannins for a long while despite prep, so id just put it in after boiling and soaking for about a week. water changes get rid of the tea water, mine still dyes the water a month in... its getting a lot better though!

Ugh! A whole week? LoL, seems like a long time. Well no more boiling for now. I have the pieces in a large lobster pot with the water. I'll let it soak overnight.

I usually just boil my wood for about 3 hours and its good. Honestly if you don't like the tannins just get some purigen from seachem. turned my next to brown water to crystal clear literally over night.

It can take months soaking. But it may effect ph a little.

What the others said in regards to soaking. :D

Also you may want to let it soak for at least 24 hours and check the PH of the water the DW is soaking in to make sure the wood doesn't drop PH significantly. I'm having this issue with some DW I bought, been soaking it for 2 weeks and my PH drops too much still to use it and I may have to look for another piece. Normally DW shouldn't drop PH too significantly but depending on your water and the type of wood it can't hurt to check before putting it into the tank and risk losing your fish.

If you want to keep up with boiling method (which is faster), you really should change out the water in the pot every half hour or so with fresh water, reboil for 1/2hr & change again etc until the water boils clear & dw no longer affects ph. Alot of work though!

jlk said:
If you want to keep up with boiling method (which is faster), you really should change out the water in the pot every half hour or so with fresh water, reboil for 1/2hr & change again etc until the water boils clear & dw no longer affects ph. Alot of work though!

I have ALL DAY! LoL. Boiling it will be! :)

I've always had the best luck running dw through the dishwasher. Rarely, after running through the dishwasher, has it released tannins. Not sure if it's the steam or what.

mfdrookie516 said:
I've always had the best luck running dw through the dishwasher. Rarely, after running through the dishwasher, has it released tannins. Not sure if it's the steam or what.

Boiling is a pain but seems to be working! Less and less each time. Got it soaking right now and a very very light tea color. Gonna boil again.

Boiling is a pain but seems to be working! Less and less each time. Got it soaking right now and a very very light tea color. Gonna boil again.
I guess I should add that many of my pieces would require a very large pot, that I don't have... hence why I've always chosen the dishwasher.

Back
Top Bottom