Bored of my fish tank, what should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am sort of bored with my fish tank. I have a 20 gallon tank in my room. Initially when I had the twenty gallon. I decided that a colorful community tank with beautifully colored fish with well-known personalities would help me relieve stress and look amazing. So I stocked the tank with the following:

1 neon blue dwarf gourami
2 sunset platies
2 neon blue guppy males
4 neon tetras

I got bored with that. All the fish weren't so vibrant and were just plain old boring. I got a silver molly and 2 otos. The molly died and the otos would always hide. I then go 2 guppy females and thought that breeding the guppies would be fun. I wasn't really, it just left me with more fish. So then I gave all of my fish away.

Then I bought a betta, because they are well known for having personality. He lived the longest out of all of the bettas I have ever had. He lived for about 3 or 4 months and then he died. Then I bought two yellow labs, thinking that cichlids would be more interesting and have great colors and more personality. However, now they just sort of hide and I am going through their little pale color issue right now.

I don't know if it just that fact that over the months I for just some reason have lost interest in my fish tank because of other things that take up my time that I have an obligation to or I am just finding the right fish, but for the first time in all the my years of owning fish I feel this way. I hope I have not offended anyone, because I honestly don't mean to, so ultimately my main question is, should I keep the fish stocking the way it is or should I start from scratch again. If start from scratch, could you list some stocking suggestions for a twenty gallon tank. Thanks. I really don't want to find a new hobby. Lol. THank you in advance for your help and your posts.

Pale colors aren't a good sign. I wonder if you were having a water quality issue that was causing the "not so vibrant look".

You can always try other things. Maybe a planted tank? Perhaps try your hand at saltwater?

I am afraid to start a saltwater tank and prefer for now to stick with freshwater. As for the fish color it may be due to food because myfather's yellow labs have the same thing and we both feed our yellow labs the same thing, so tomorrow and I am going to buy them new color enriching food, so hopefully that will work.

I find that when I start to get that bored feeling (and I do get it) I like to "tinker" with the look of my tank. It has changed about 6 times in the past year. I am just getting into live plants which is a challenge for me now especially because I don't have a whole lot of light. As far as fish go, if you don't love looking at the fish you have now, you wont be as motivated to take care of them. Devilish may be on the right track with the water quality issue. (I am not accusing you of anything here, just wondering)
Are you keeping up on weekly water changes? Have you tried maybe doing a couple of water changes during the week instead of one?

Maybe try a rainbow shark in there. They will add character.

Also, like in an earlier post, might want to check your water parameters. And if you aren't sure on doing that, take some to your lfs and they'll test it for you.

Ill be more then happy to take the tank off your hands, feel free to i.m me, get my mail address and send it to my house.

Another cool fish is a Golden Dojo Loach. Mine was less than 4 inches when I got him, now he's pushed over 8 inches. Quite the character. Could watch him all day long.

Devilishturtles said:
Pale colors aren't a good sign. I wonder if you were having a water quality issue that was causing the "not so vibrant look".

That was my first thought too. What kind of filter do you have and have your water parameters been stable? What's your water change schedule?

I went through several "stages" with regards to my tank decor and inhabitants. I wouldn't say that I ever became bored with my tanks - it was more like dissatisfaction and unfulfillment. Perhaps that's what you're feeling now?

I've found that a small school of corys adds life and interest to any tank.

Sorry, I think I goofed up when I was making the post. When I was talking about my community tank not being vibrant, I meant that the tank was really boring. As to the yellow labs, I do consistent weekly 25% water changes and my nitrate, nitrite, pH, temperature and ammonia levels are all consistant and fine.

unknown_7, If you have the budget, saltwater is TONS of fun. I'm only 19, work part time and go to school, it's really not that expensive if you do everything in steps and take your time. I have been setup for about 3 weeks now, I looking forward to going home and looking at all the action taking place in my tank at night with a small flashlight. I could sit here for hours and watch whats going with all the shrimp, different tiny organisms, hermits exploring etc. It really isn't that hard to maintain. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

I got everything setup in my profile for under 1k

I would suggest maybe getting a larger tank, if possible. Something like a 29 or 55 gal. You can then do more with the tank and get larger fish to possibly spark your interest a bit more. There are some wonderful cichlids out there and I'm pretty fond of goldfish. Both spark and hold my interest quite well on their own. Throw in trying to keep a planted GOLDFISH tank, and I'm busy 24/7. Ok, maybe not 24/7, but it does keep me active with the tank.

Try a community tank of female bettas. Get a bunch of different colours. They might fight it out at first but they do well after that. Mine don't harm each other but they sometimes get to chasing and flashing their stripes. They are quite active if that's what you like.

I have larger tanks but that is another story. My main concern is with the 20 gallon tank in my room.

Why not try out a co2 injector and start plant scaping as well as keeping fish. I doubt you would become bored...Or get an Oscar but you will eventually have to upscale on tanks. Oscars are extremely social fish and they will amuse you for hours. Good luck, but plant scaping sound likes what you need.. :D

SW can be done on a budget.. if you need any ideas on it.. just PM me.. :D
I think it could be done for WAY less then 1k.. heck most of your FW equipment could be moded to work for SW IMO..

as far as color inhancing food goes.. NLS would be my suggestion..

I just got a couple amazon sword plants. Its been almost a week now and I still don't enjoy my tank that much. I still find it and the fish in there boring. I dunno what to do now.

angels

plz try some 4-6 angels fish they are attractive and easy fish.you can add some plants inyour tank and some corys will do good.

Back
Top Bottom