Boy or girl Angelfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfddser

Aquarium Advice Regular
image-3478683070.jpg

image-2254314565.jpg

So is it a boy or girl? Looking to get the opposite sex so it can have a buddy

Attachments

• image-679367864.jpg
    image-679367864.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 123
You can't tell an angel fish's sex just by looking at it (some people claim to be able to from the curvature of their head or stomach, but I'm skeptical). You just have to see who lays the eggs and who fertilizes them when they breed. If you want a pair you have to get a bunch of babies and raise them together and see who pairs off. Even if you did somehow get two of the opposite sex, there's no guarantee that they would get along.

The easiest way to tell from what my friend whose a breeder said to don't feed them for 2-3 days and if its a female ah will still have a somewhat swollen belly and a male will have a really sunken belly.

Looking at the forehead a good guess would be female BUT I have had males that never developed a forehead bump so it is only guessing. As stated the only sure fire way to know is wait until spawning occurs. A females breeding vent is blunt like a pencil eraser and the males is pointed like a pencil tip. Females vents are also very easy to see when they drop. Also as already stated even if you could get an opposite sexed angel that is no guarantee they will pair.

Thanks for the reply guys. I really want a pair, and understand that you have to get a few and see which ones pair up. Problem is i'm kind of restricted by my tank size and have read a lot of conflicting information, so i'm hoping to get some more feedback from you guys.

I really want a pair. I have a 20g tall tank that'll just be for the angel pair if I can get them too.
I also have a 20g long I want to turn into a reef tank, but one day in the not so near future as they're expensive and I don't have the resources at this point in time. But anyway, could I say, Put a heater and filter on the 20g long, let it cycle, and then when it's cycled, put my angelfish and maybe 4-5 others in the tank and see which ones pair off? Then move the pair back into the original 20g tall. Then of course returns the ones that don't to the lfs.

And here's where the conflicting information comes, I have a 20g, but have read so much different stuff about the requirements of an angelfish pair.

Angelfish Care

This site indicates that I COULD have a breeding pair in my 20g tall. But all the information i've read online kinda leads me to believe I need a bigger tank.
My baby right now is maybe a quarter sized body, so I'm hoping I even have enough room for him when he gets older, let alone a buddy.

Just some other peoples opinions and feedback would be wonderful.

They just get so big with the fins and everything, keeping them in a 20G long term seems a shame. They get as big or bigger than your hand when its spread out!

I would start looking for a bigger tank on a good deal! My babies have gone from the size of a quarter to grapefruit size/ 6 inches nose to tail end for the biggest one in just a 2-3 months time!

I got the privilege of speaking to Bob 1 on 1 and he awnsered every question I could of haved and more about angels!

He breeds them and didn't seem to get annoyed with my thousands of questions. I defiantly recommend messaging him if you have questions.

i will always be happy to help. i have been doing in-depth resurch for many years . and im also very good friends with a very large breeder in Florida. not saying i know it all but i have defiantly studied them a lot. so i will try to help with the best knowledge that i have. ty for the compliment.

it is a male angelfish.... females tend to have a straighter stomach. from the tip off mouth all the way down to the bottom fin

image-2161029026.jpg

Just my iPhone. I enjoy her.

Attachments

• image-3821147980.jpg
    image-3821147980.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 76

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom