brackish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dieanna

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering about brackish tanks myself. I hadn't even heard of them before I joined aquariumadvice.

What do you want to know about 'em? They're anything with a salt content above freshwater but below seawater (Water density: 1.005-1.020?) Somethin' like that. Fish for brackish water would be archerfish, scats, monos, green spotted puffers, Figure-8 puffers, bumblebee gobies, mollies... A lot of brackish fish get very large from what I've read. Plants that work in brackish seem pretty limited, but java fern and java moss are supposed to work if acclimated to the salt content slowly. I'm planning to start up a brackish tank sometime.

Also, with brackish, as far as I know, there isn't an algae eater/pleco that thives in those conditions so your cleanup crew would consist of snails. Nerite snails are good. Oh, and I know this plant is more well known for sw but, mangrove trees will grow in brackish water if acclimated to it and are great for nutrient export. :D

Oh yeah, forgot about mangroves. Dunno how, since those are like... native to brackish waters. :p Ah well. And yeah, the salt will kill pretty much any variety of pleco. Snails are good unless you have pufferfish, in which case the puffers will eat them.

Back
Top Bottom