Breaking Down a Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

College Kid

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 5.5 planted experiment tank is going downhill, and seeing as there is only one fish in it I was considering breaking it down. now, [mod edit] added some plants there are little bugs and some worms crawling around in it! Now I'm gonna take it down, relocate the fish, and sterilize everything.

What's the best way to clean the tank and everything in it so I can use it months or years from now when I have more money to sink into it and do everything right?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you rehome the fish, you can just empty the tank and trash the other contents. The best way to clean it up would be a vinegar and hot water solution. That would be fine for months and a few years from now -- if you are talking about many years from now you may need to reseal the silicon caulk on the tank.

And I assume I can just run the filter with this vinegar solution for a bit and soak all my nets and tubing etc. to make sure all the little critters are dead? If so, how long would you soak em for?

30 minutes or so would be more than adequate. Nothing would really survive that.

Back
Top Bottom