breeding GBR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LostLoach

Aquarium Advice Activist
so i setup a 20l panted tank for my pair of rams to breed but i am wondering if i can have other fish in there if i intend to have them breed? i would like to have the pair of GBR two stiphodon gobys three clown killi fish 5 rummy nose and 3 khuli loach and a few nerite snails and amano shrimp what do u guys think or should i have them alone in there and add the fish after the breeding process.. thanks for reading

I bred rams for a while and I could never get mine to raise a spawn, even in a species tank, and even in their own breeding tanks. The only way I was successful was by removing the eggs and rearing them myself.

LostLoach said:
so i setup a 20l panted tank for my pair of rams to breed but i am wondering if i can have other fish in there if i intend to have them breed? i would like to have the pair of GBR two stiphodon gobys three clown killi fish 5 rummy nose and 3 khuli loach and a few nerite snails and amano shrimp what do u guys think or should i have them alone in there and add the fish after the breeding process.. thanks for reading

Well my breeding pairs are by themselfs they might breed but if you want to breed and sell successfully I would have 2 breeding pairs by themselfs

I breed GBR and gold rams and hybrid golden GBR's I just recently got a pair of Bolivian and hoping they pair up nicely

Be ready to pull the eggs

ryan-peddle said:
Well my breeding pairs are by themselfs they might breed but if you want to breed and sell successfully I would have 2 breeding pairs by themselfs

I breed GBR and gold rams and hybrid golden GBR's I just recently got a pair of Bolivian and hoping they pair up nicely

Be ready to pull the eggs

Once you pull the eggs what's the process? I had a pair spawn but I didnt really know what to do and they ended up eating the eggs. How long once they do they're dance do you pull? We have a ram only tank with the hopes they'll breed but I don't know what to do once they do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry to hijack your thread but I was just curious!

Tracie6283 said:
Once you pull the eggs what's the process? I had a pair spawn but I didnt really know what to do and they ended up eating the eggs. How long once they do they're dance do you pull? We have a ram only tank with the hopes they'll breed but I don't know what to do once they do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry to hijack your thread but I was just curious!

I pull the eggs as soon as I notice them and place them in a breeding net inside the tank and move them around once in a while or place them so the out put of my fluval gently moves the eggs around I have had great success this way

Breeders usually put flat surfaces in the tank, terra cotta pots, saucers, slate pieces, etc, for the fish to lay eggs on. Once they lay them, you can transfer the entire object that they laid on.

What if they are lame and dont lay on the slate..? Haha that would be a real bummer!

It happens, they spawn on tank walls or in sand/gravel, but when it happens you are just stuck waiting for them to turn into wigglers, at that point you can remove them with a turkey baster.

Back
Top Bottom