Bristlenose Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmtiz92

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I recently got a juvenile bristlenose pleco, she is tiny. I was reading up some more on how to best care for her in the future and read that it's best to try and tame them so that you can scoop them out of the tank by hand because you can't use nets? Is this true, can the net harm them?

Bristlenose plecos have hooks that they tuck in their sides. They come out when they are threatened (like getting caught in a net). And these can get hurt if they are stuck in the net. If you do handle them with a net do not force them out. Let them leave the net on their own.

Best to use a fine mesh net for any catfish. BN are worse than most because they have retractable spines on the sides of their heads that come out when they're disturbed. Juvies in particular have smaller/narrower spines that easily become snagged in nets unless the mesh is very small. It's really not a good idea to handle any fish if you don't absolutely have to. If you don't have a suitable net try chasing the fish into a bowl or similar container, then place the net over the top while you lift it out of the tank.

Take your time, move very slow with the tank lights off. I've been able to teach a couple of mine to enjoy being petted. But it takes a lot of time and patience. It's kind of like trying to leash train a feral cat. They really hate it and flip out at first, but once they trust you, it's awesome.

Thank y'all so much! I will go and get her her own net. She is slowly becoming less and less skittish, mostly due to the fact that she is starting to catch on that me=algae wafers and algae wafers are the bomb. :)

Back
Top Bottom