Bristlenose Pleco questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erik7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all!

I asked orginally in chat, and thanks for those replies, but I do have some more Q's.

1. Are they normally inactive during the day.. and most always when I watch anyway? I hardly ever see the little guy, and i think he's fun to watch!

2. How do i know if he is eating? I have algae discs that drop to the bottom of the tank, but all my fish (danios and gourami) pick at it. Granted, they don't do much damage to it, but they liked it. And about 20-40 min later i looked and it was all gone. Dunno if the pleco got it or if the others ate it all up.

Thats all for now. Thanks :)

1. Pleco's are nocturnal. Most of their activity will be witnessed at night. Try providing a few dark places that are shielded from light such as driftwood with crevices or rock structures. My bn comes out and plays on thd driftwood during the day.

2. Chances are, he is eating. Trying turning the lights off in the tank when it gets dark outside. Also turn off as many lights in the room as you can. Right before you go to sleep, without turning on any lights, drop in an algae wafer. The other fish are probably asleep and your pleco will be able to get to it before anyone else. Also, it has been said that there is always algae in the tank, even if it is not visible. So he could be munching away on something else. :)

I sort of cheated when it comes to a good hiding place for my bn. I laid some slate against the front of the tank. She hides here most of the time. This way she feels safe and I can still see her.

Very good idea!

I have a nice pirate ship that he's been hiding in. I plan to convert my tank to a "natural" look and get rid of the pirate stuff here in a week or two. Then he'll have plenty of places to hide :)

I agree with the slate idea.... it works awesome and you can still see the fish.. but also try getting a veggie clip and supplementing with some Zucchini.. you will be surprised to see them MUNCH!!!!

yes, i got some zucchini, but my vegie clip broke. would it be bad to just toss it in and let it do.. (or i suppose it wouldnt sink...)

It won't sink and it will go uneaten. Before I had my clip, I would lay part of it in the gravel with a rock on it or something as a temporary fix.

I have 3 BN's and I see them all the time now. There was one that I got to see all the time. I guess he didn't know he was suppose to hide during the day. :wink:

I have used paperclips to sink zucchini before with no problems, you just use two and poke one in each side and it works!!

I used a band to tie it to the bottom of a decoration.

We'll see if he likes it :)

Thanks for the info

I use an elastic band and my CAE loves it. My gold nugget pleco doesn't always care if there is cuke or zuc in the tank. LOL I have a pirate ship too for him and I never see him come out of it, it is his castle.

Back
Top Bottom