Bronze Corydoras missing barbels...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hb3133

Aquarium Advice Activist
I notice last week that 1 out of my 3 Bronze Corydoras is missing it's barbels. I believe it was caused by poor sanitary conditions in the tanks gravel bed. The fish seems to be doing okay and is still eating with his fish mates. I have had these 3 corycats for over 8 months and no problems up to this point. I have tried to look up information on websites with no luck and even tried the forum here ( looked through 1 years worth of postings). I am just looking for some information and possible prognosis. Thanks!

From what I've read, cories lose barbels due to poor water quality, high nitrates, and/or anoxic conditions in substrates...also, if the gravel is too rough. Once the gravel/water conditions are improved, then the barbels should eventually grow back.

Good luck!

If you can, make sure your cory without 'bels' can see his food coming...as the barbells are his smell sensors. If these are like my three line cats, the barbels will grow back under the correct condidtions.

Back
Top Bottom