3 Sick Corydoras catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScalareReb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday, I noticed 3 of my Corys hovering in the center of the tank as if stressed- very unusual behavior. I took them out to quarantine and noticed some scutes missing or sloughed off. Also some barbels missing. I have photos. Did a little research on this and wonder if this is a fungus or bacterial infection. I have them in a 75 gal.tank with a larger lace synodtis catfish who has grown pretty large of late ( now about 4-5 inches head to tail) I wonder may be outcompeting them at night.
Parameters in this tank have not changed. PH 7.6.
Temp always 80. Nitrate/nitrite/ammonia 0. 25% water changes about every 2 weeks. Most recent last weekend.
Other species of catfish in the tanks are fine (bronze laser) with no signs of disease. No other sick fish. ( 2 angels- 7 neons- 7 rummynose- 1 mollie- 2 glowlights- 1 lace cat- 4 zebra danios, 3 bronze laser Cory’s).
I am thinking of removing the bronze Cory’s as well to another tank so they are safe.
Since moving these guys to a quarantine I am seeing more normal behavior, except for the one with injured scutes.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 2B063C82-AEC1-4AB9-88A8-D19670F1717A.jpg
    2B063C82-AEC1-4AB9-88A8-D19670F1717A.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 40B66B16-CC4E-4CF0-8ADF-FE22E2F77763.jpg
    40B66B16-CC4E-4CF0-8ADF-FE22E2F77763.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 22
  • D28F0884-11C6-423C-BF53-65544DE26FDD.jpg
    D28F0884-11C6-423C-BF53-65544DE26FDD.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 837DA56C-DEF7-4745-B03B-93B4B1749524.jpg
    837DA56C-DEF7-4745-B03B-93B4B1749524.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 32
From the looks of it, it may be the gravel is causing the shortened barbels since it's on both species. The one cory does look a bit beat up which could be from the Lace cat. Synodontis cats are African and the Cory's are South American and the two really shouldn't be mixed. ( Just because it's a catfish doesn't mean it can be with other catfish. ;) ) Your Cory cats would be better on a sand or dirt substrate while the lace cat is fine as is. If you can get the cories onto a softer substrate, the barbels will grow back over time. If you notice any redness or fuzziness on the ends of the barbels, then they should be treated with an antibiotic or antifungal depending on which it is.

The 2 Corydoras in the first picture are covered in excess mucous. This is caused by something in the water irritating the fish and they respond by producing more mucous, which appears as a cream or white film over their head, body and fins.

Check the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

--------------------

You need a picture on the back of the tank to make the fish feel more secure. You can buy aquarium backings from any pet shop or online. You can also use coloured card or a plastic bin liner. Just tape it to the outside on the back of the tank.

Some more floating plants would help too.

From the looks of it, it may be the gravel is causing the shortened barbels since it's on both species. The one cory does look a bit beat up which could be from the Lace cat. Synodontis cats are African and the Cory's are South American and the two really shouldn't be mixed. ( Just because it's a catfish doesn't mean it can be with other catfish. ;) ) Your Cory cats would be better on a sand or dirt substrate while the lace cat is fine as is. If you can get the cories onto a softer substrate, the barbels will grow back over time. If you notice any redness or fuzziness on the ends of the barbels, then they should be treated with an antibiotic or antifungal depending on which it is.

Thanks Andy. I have plenty of other tanks. Will move them over. Will put them in a bare bottom as I don’t have any sand substrate. No redness.

The 2 Corydoras in the first picture are covered in excess mucous. This is caused by something in the water irritating the fish and they respond by producing more mucous, which appears as a cream or white film over their head, body and fins.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

--------------------

You need a picture on the back of the tank to make the fish feel more secure. You can buy aquarium backings from any pet shop or online. You can also use coloured card or a plastic bin liner. Just tape it to the outside on the back of the tank.

Thanks Colin. Good idea about the back- I always thought those store bought backgrounds look kinda imitation. Would rather have something that looks more natural. Or maybe just black? Will clean the sidewalls. Used to have a huge amount of guppy grass but it made a mess. Any other suggestions for a floater that doesn’t shed?

Sponge filter does need cleaning. Will do today. Poor babies. They are my second favorite….next to my angels. Which I finally can say I have 3 successful little ones 3 weeks old now from the pair. Next spawn may be for them to raise, as we discussed in other thread.
Thanks again!
Rebecca

--------------------

Thanks Colin. Good idea about the back- I always thought those store bought backgrounds look kinda imitation. Would rather have something that looks more natural. Or maybe just black? Will clean the sidewalls. Used to have a huge amount of guppy grass but it made a mess. Any other suggestions for a floater that doesn’t shed?

Sponge filter does need cleaning. Will do today. Poor babies. They are my second favorite….next to my angels. Which I finally can say I have 3 successful little ones 3 weeks old now from the pair. Next spawn may be for them to raise, as we discussed in other thread.
Thanks again!
Rebecca

Thanks Andy. I have plenty of other tanks. Will move them over. Will put them in a bare bottom as I don’t have any sand substrate. No redness.

Don't leave them long in the bare bottom. That's not good for the barbels either. Sand is cheap enough to grab from the Home Depot or Lowes type stores. I just use playground sand. (y)

I got a 20kg (44 pounds?) bag of washed play sand a couple of weeks ago. It cost $7.50 and would be ideal for bottom dwellers in an aquarium. Just give it a wash to remove the fine dust and away you go. I know it sounds weird to wash play sand that has been washed, but there was a lot of really fine silt in it and I didn't want that. I got the play sand from a hardware store.

Will do. Good news is they are doing great and barbels are growing back nicely.
They did well with isolation and a small serving of salt. I am pleased to see them swimming normally again.

Back
Top Bottom