Brooktrout? Can it be done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmckee727

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi diddly ho neighbors, It's not like I'm gonna get one up and going right now ( have other tanks I'm trying to get going) but curious about a brook trout tank?! Is this a thing? Possible? Maybe? I know you would have to have powerhead galore and a chiller but would a high output aerator work in place of hanging an Evinrude on the side of your tank? :) just curious if anyone knows of one or what having one would require. I think a trout tank with riverrock and a piece of driftwood would be beautiful.

Since it'd be DIY I guess you could run as many as you wanted, but oxygenation would def be more concern over filtration ( although I completely understand the concept of the intakes keepin everything moving. I wonder if high aerated H20 w/ a couple powerheads would suffice?

It can be done, but you would need a massive custom made tank for it. I would probably do 8 - 10 foot long at least or maybe you could even wrap it around a room. Depending on if you want to DIY you could even have it with multiple tiers for them to jump to :brows: It could be an absolutely crazy and amazing setup.

I've been drooling over a river tank for quite a while now :)

It can be done, but you would need a massive custom made tank for it. I would probably do 8 - 10 foot long at least or maybe you could even wrap it around a room. Depending on if you want to DIY you could even have it with multiple tiers for them to jump to :brows: It could be an absolutely crazy and amazing setup.

I've been drooling over a river tank for quite a while now :)

Lol!, I know right. It would be amazing but would you have to have that large of of a tank for brookys? There very small compared to browns or rainbows. If it is a multiple tier, 12' tank job I'm out :) but I'd love to look at someone elses lol. Thank you for the reply

They get up to around 2 ft long so yeah, they need a really big tank. But there are plenty of smaller river fish. Look at hillstream loaches. They are a very neat river dwelling fish.

Wow, thanks for the heads up. Ive only seen 6" max but I'm in borderline trout/no trout land. Atleast I know what I'll need if I find a good deal on a 300 :) maybe one day?

I appreciate all the advice. Maybe one day when I thin out the # of tanks and maintenance I will be able to host a few of these guys. :)

I have thought about doing this a few times. I think brook trout is one of North Americas most beautiful native fish but after researching the requirements I just don't have the space or money. If you wind up doing it you will have to post videos.

The movie The River Why first gave me the idea. Check it out.

I have thought about doing this a few times. I think brook trout is one of North Americas most beautiful native fish but after researching the requirements I just don't have the space or money. If you wind up doing it you will have to post videos.

The movie The River Why first gave me the idea. Check it out.

They are absolutely amazing. I'm in the same boat as far as the financial aspect goes, it would surly be a much bigger task than I anticipated. If for some reason I become loaded this will be the first place I show it:) thanks

I love the look as well, check out the Danio Margaritatus (crystal pearl danio)...similar looks and far easier to deal with

hillstream loaches were actually the fish that system was designed for.
and you can rig as many powerheads as you want to it, youll just have to do more cutting of pvc

A couple of other things to note, you will need a lot of cooling capacity as they really thrive 55-60 degree (Fahrenheit) water. Also, heavy lids would be a must as they will jump whenever they see water entering the tank (they think there's a pool on the other side they need to get to).

Back
Top Bottom