Brown algae??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelly77143

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have noticed a brownish reddish gunk in the gravel only on one side of my tank. the tank itself is cornered in between two windows. First Id like to know what it is... Second why is it growing only on one side if there are windows on either side of the tank... I will upload the pic after this post because I took it with my phone. Here is a quick rundown of the perimeters. 60 gallon tank
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Trate 10
pH 7

use master kit

the water itself is crystal clear. been set up since march. have an ecco canister rated for 80 gallons AND a biowheel rated at 80-90 gallons.. I cant remember which model number it is... Im too short to read it.

:fish2:

I have the same thing in a few of my tanks. They told me diatoms are common in newer tanks... Not sure when a tank isn't considered "new" anymore...

I forgot to add that I only feed Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. Not a lot of food each feeding. Only have about 10-12 fish total in the tank. Mainly guppies, platys, 2 glass cats, one Otto. Yes I am aware of the Otto and glass cat "happy" number groupings.

ocminpin said:
I have the same thing in a few of my tanks. They told me diatoms are common in newer tanks... Not sure when a tank isn't considered "new" anymore...

Is it harmful? How do I get rid of it?

kelly77143 said:
Is it harmful? How do I get rid of it?

They told me it was normal and would go away as tank matures. Also Otos love to eat it and it can be easily wiped off the glass. I bought a glass scrubber thing and wipe the glass every few days cause it keeps growing back.

It's under the substrate though, that's the weird part for me. Diatoms still need light, and they wouldn't be getting it down there...

Did you try stirring that area up at all and seeing if it will go away on its own after a few days of that?

aqua_chem said:
It's under the substrate though, that's the weird part for me. Diatoms still need light, and they wouldn't be getting it down there...

Did you try stirring that area up at all and seeing if it will go away on its own after a few days of that?

I'll try stirring it up. It's just weird. And it's not on top anywhere... Just on the side. I'll see what happens.

ocminpin said:
They told me it was normal and would go away as tank matures. Also Otos love to eat it and it can be easily wiped off the glass. I bought a glass scrubber thing and wipe the glass every few days cause it keeps growing back.

Thanks... I hope my Otto is hungry!

Well, I got a glass scraper to the sides... It goes away then comes back quickly. Otto cant get to where it is and there's no growth anywhere but those two places... All perimeters still great.

How bright is the room the tank is located in? It's possible the diatoms are getting the light they need from the lights in the room.

Back
Top Bottom