Bubbles take about 3-4 seconds to pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbleblower

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Guys!

I recently made the mistake of buying a biorb. It's a 30 Litre tank I've got 3 female bettas, and two flying foxes.

The stats:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0.25ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm
pH: 6.4

We had DJ (one of the foxes) get stuck in the filter cartridge, we managed to get him out really quickly while suffering from heart attacks ourselves at 1am! Since the dilemma I've noticed the bubbles aren't popping as quickly as they were previously. I've done a 50% water change and it doesn't appear to be changing. Is this an indicator of something sinister?

P.S - we've bought a new tank and are waiting for it to cycle so we can dump this biorb.

In advance; thank you for your help!

I have 2 30L Biorbs and they are doing great. I ditched their media and I am using the Biohome gravel with course sponges as an under gravel filter.

Bubble popping would indicate something is in the water impacting the surface tension, are you adding anything to your water? Have you tested the water for particulate matter? If so, what are the PPM? With your low ph I worry about the effectiveness of your beneficial bacteria. You might consider adding some crushed coral (2 tablespoons?) to bring your ph up a bit over 7 and stabilize it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Thanks so much TMaier,

I'll grab some crushed coral to sort out the pH levels. I'll also grab a particulate matter test (didn't know it existed tbh). I have considered doing the Biorb upgrade by Pondguru Outdoors (
) but the Aussie supplier hasn't got any of the BioGravel in stock at the moment (and won't have it until December-January). I am finding it difficult to find it here in the local fish stores in Sydney *sigh*. We've made the executive decision to start cycling a new tank but that'll be awhile before we can move them.

I'm currently doing daily water changes of about 25% after aging the water overnight and adding water conditioner (aside from the initial 50%). The ladies appear to be doing alright and my Siamese Algae Eater (after the trauma of being sucked into the filter cartridge) has started eating again. His tail fin is pretty badly torn at the moment and he's struggling to swim but getting by (to my relief).

Thank you so much for your advice!

I'll be grabbing a particulate matter test (didn't know they existed tbh) and some crushed coral. I appreciate the help. I've looked at doing the upgrade as suggested by Pondguru Outdoors (
) but the Australian supplier of BioGravel doesn't have it in stock at the moment and won't get it in until December-January *sigh*.

The fish appear to be doing okay at the moment but I've got a new tank cycling to pop them in once it's done.

The only thing I've been adding to the water is Seachem Prime water conditioner and then aging the water overnight ready for the next water change.

Back
Top Bottom