Betta diseased, 5 yrd old Beside herself, How to Treat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The good thing about betta's is they don't need an air bubbler. They come to the surface for air when they need to. I have hang on the back filters for all my betta's. But when the filters are too strong i just shove a sponge in where the flow of water is coming out of. I have a green scotch pad folded in one of mine. You'll do fine. I'm a stay at home mom. So I'm always on here when I can be. Work from home too. 24/7. Lol! Did he eat the pea?

You can return the Kent Marine dKH!!! You have very high pH so absolutely do not need that!!!

Here are a few articles to read up on to maybe clear things up.

This is the article in my signature great for getting a grasp on all the little details of the basics and some really good info to keep tanks in order. Read this first and it might make things seem more orderly.

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Then since you have fish presently, now in both tanks without a necessary amount of Beneficial Bacteria / BB, due to new filter pads and filter addition.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

This should help with the base information you will need for keeping fish.

As for your fish, it is likely he suffered from ammonia or other poisoning and is needing to get better.

Just as a side note sometimes after a fish has had Nitrite poisoning he can have internal injury which ends up compromising internal organ function some weeks later.

Your fish is not looking as bad as I thought it might. Probably have a good chance of success!
https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/frequently-asked-questions-on-nitrite

Hoping for a great outcome.

Last edited:
Just wanted to give everyone an update. He's not better, but seems much better than he was! He's actually moved around quite a few times, hid in his house for a bit and kept peeking out his windows (he loves that), and hung out on his hammock. He does seem to be swimming in a darty/jerky manner, but he hasn't swum much so hard to tell. Might be able to better tell when he's in the bigger tank.

He's still hanging out near his heater a lot. We grabbed a 10 gallon tank today and put it in a new location and have it heating for the next 24 hours, but the heater doesn't seem very accurate. Grabbed an aqueon pro 100w adjustable. Putting it on 80 it only went up to 77 degrees before the light turned green. Had to turn it up to 85 to get it to 79 degrees when it turned green. Odd. Not sure about this one, but it had good reviews and not as much failure rate it seemed.

He still hasn't eaten -- tried to give him the pea, he didn't seem interested, it dropped right down to the bottom of the tank. Left it for about 10 mins to see if he'd go get it, but nope. Is there a trick to that?

Just wanted to give everyone an update. He's not better, but seems much better than he was! He's actually moved around quite a few times, hid in his house for a bit and kept peeking out his windows (he loves that), and hung out on his hammock. He does seem to be swimming in a darty/jerky manner, but he hasn't swum much so hard to tell. Might be able to better tell when he's in the bigger tank.

He's still hanging out near his heater a lot. We grabbed a 10 gallon tank today and put it in a new location and have it heating for the next 24 hours, but the heater doesn't seem very accurate. Grabbed an aqueon pro 100w adjustable. Putting it on 80 it only went up to 77 degrees before the light turned green. Had to turn it up to 85 to get it to 79 degrees when it turned green. Odd. Not sure about this one, but it had good reviews and not as much failure rate it seemed.

He still hasn't eaten -- tried to give him the pea, he didn't seem interested, it dropped right down to the bottom of the tank. Left it for about 10 mins to see if he'd go get it, but nope. Is there a trick to that?
Squeeze the pea to break it up a bit. Little pieces. Like the size of his pellets. Make sure its the soft inside of the pea only.

Squeeze the pea to break it up a bit. Little pieces. Like the size of his pellets. Make sure its the soft inside of the pea only.

Ahhh ok. I took the skin off and cut in in half but can def get it smaller. Even when I smashed it, he wasn't interested. When I showed him his bottle of pellets (he usually gets excited about that)to see if he would stir, no movement.

He actually was much more lethargic today and still hanging out under the heater (or on his hammock -- near the heater.) Water readings all stable/the same today (ammonia between 0-.25). Should we still do a water change? I'm afraid to stress him out even more.

The 10 gallon is up to about 81 degrees, but I dont trust the temp or the heater right now. I'm going to have to test the thermometers I have with an ice bath.

Is there anything more I can do for him? It's almost Saturday and he hasn't eaten since Monday. I know they CAN go 14 days without eating, but that's the max and their body goes into starvation mode. I imagine if he was any better he would have eaten something by now?

If your ammonia test is at .25 or lower it's ok. No water change yet. Just keep it at .25 if you have some minced garlic try soaking the pea in the juice for a few mins. Then skin it. Or just dip the soft inside of the pea in it and then feed him the pea. If he don't have the white area on him, you can try to feed him his food. You can also soak that in garlic juice too. Garlic builds up the immune system and fish love it. He might not be bloated. Could have been ammonia spike from taking the filter off his tank. He's an older betta too. Just keep in mind. If he don't eat soon try some blood warms.

Wonder how the little guy is doing, I've been following along. It sounds like ammonia poisoning. If he doesn't get better soon what about a methylene blue bath in a QT. It's said to be excellent for ammonia & nitrite poisoning. Tough call especially if he is an old betta.

I also really recommend bloodworms. My betta wouldn’t eat much but now he goes crazy for them!

Hey all, just wanted to post an update. Unfortunately Doge passed away that evening (the night before last.) I imagine he just had too much internal damage. As you might imagine I took it pretty hard myself. My daughter as well, but this too shall pass. We sent him off respectfully with a nice speech, a Game of Thrones style funeral pyre appropriate of a "fighting fish", and Amazing Grace on the bagpipes (listen to it, it's beautiful). I know it sounds like a bit much for a fish (or at least that's what a friend of mine said), but I want my daughter to learn that we respect all forms of life -- and no matter what "kind" of pet it is, it deserves just as much love and respect as you would give any other.

I want to thank you all for your help and encouraging words during this time. It was incredibly helpful, insightful, and appreciated.

As for all of the new tank and equipment -- I'm taking some time to grieve but also do further research on proper care as well as other species. I also don't want to teach my daughter that everything (or everyone) is "replaceable", and that you need to grieve or experience that sense of loss to appreciate what (and who) you do have. This tank is now mine and my responsibility, so I want to make sure that I can properly care for another fish and educate my boyfriend on how to do the same. So you will certainly continue to see me on here asking more questions. =)

Thanks so much, again, for everything.

I grew up with pets and my mother always had a little"funeral" for the pets we loved. I think it's healthy for children. It's human nature to anthropomorphize, now that my only child is an adult my dogs & fish are my babies. I am sorry for your loss, grief is healthy and a part of life. My thoughts are with you.
Look forward to seeing you on the forums when the time is right.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Everything happens for a reason, is the way I have always seen life. And the way my mother guided me. Another door will open when the time comes as one door closes. Take your time to heal. I know it's hard. Everyone has lost something in this hobbie , but we learn from it. I know I have. I wish you all the best in years to come. We're here for you when your ready. And know that everybody does things different in fish keeping. Not everybody's water type is the same. And not every fish is the same. So in your research, gather what you can and keep everything else in mind. Best wishes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad to hear of your Betta fish loss. It can be really crushing to try really hard and still lose him. Perhaps elderly and not in tip top condition for a variety of circumstances.

Now that you know there are so many aspects to fish keeping maybe not known, understood or ever thought of before you will be better prepared for the next addition(s).

That being said, every hobbyist has new things they learn about on a regular basis, and things they get reminded about from long times past. It is never perfect. Every time I feel like it is getting perfect I realize it isn't.

Take some time, and if you get a new Betta he will be well cared for now, and be lucky to be chosen.

Sounds like a fundamental time for your daughter, nurturing her through a hard time. Funerals for fish and other things are healing efforts for people really.

Glad you found us here!

I’m sorry for your loss. It’s really hard to lose a fish you deeply cared about.

Back
Top Bottom