Bullied goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lurkershdw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Back in last novemeber i bought 3 one inch fantail goldfish from petsmart, who were all the same size back then. Now two of the have grown to be 4-5 inches, and one of them is about 3 inches long, And i've had to keep him in QT for a while now, because one ofthe goldfish kept on picking at him, and he ended up getting a fungal infection. WEll now the small one is fully healed, and i'm wondering what i should do. Should i put him back with the other two and hope that he gets left alone? I can't really afford to set up another tank (nor do i have the space to)

it's a 20 gallon, and i just measured them, and the two larger ones are about 3 and a half each, and the small one is about 2 and a half inches long, so that adds up to 9 1/2 inches of goldfish in the tank. There's also a pleco, and 2 chinese algae eaters in the tank, but the plecon just sits sheltered in a groove in a rock all day, and the chinese algae eatres hide behind another large rock all day long

FYI--it is recommended that goldfish have a minimum of 10 gals per fish. It does not depend on size of the fish--they are growing!
Anyway, reintroduce the small fish and see what happens. If it gets picked on--pull it out right away!

I was in a similar situation with four small goldfish in a 30 gallon. There were 3 types; a fantail, 2 shibunkins,a comet.I had them in the tank for the winter but had no problem when in the pond during the summer. While in the tank,the comet inflicted injury to a larger fantail.Comets are faster and more aggressive.I've since removed the comet and placed him the pond and he is growing faster. I would recommend you isolate the aggressive one and only keep him with his own type or get a larger tank for them all.It is true that goldfish do need a lot of room to grow and thrive.

well, thy're all actually fantails, so being different types can't exactly be the problem

Actually, there are different types of fantails, & some don't mix.

An all gold metallic Ryukin (the "common fantail" at Petsmart) is the fastest in water & is reputed to be aggressive towards less agile fantails (such as bubble-eyes (eg Moors) which can't see too well, or types without dorsal fins).

Having said that, I must say I don't have much problem with my different sized fancies (yet?!). Although I have a much larger setup (80 gal). Having more room will tend to decrease aggression & competition, I would think.

If your small one is now swimming well, I would try re-introducing it to the bigger ones & see what happens. But be prepared to seperate the combatants when the fur (er.. scales) fly!

Back
Top Bottom