Bumblebee Cat and salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'll be adding a few Bumblebee Catfish (SA) to my aquarium soon(ish) and have also been debating adding salt to my aquarium. The problem is, when I research the pros and cons of adding salt I always run across the statement "Some catfish are very sensitive to even small amounts of salt". Even the pro-salt arguments tend to make mention of this.

The problem is, Im not able to determine if the Bumblebee is one such type of salt sensitive catfish.

Does anybody have strong experience and or knowledge about this breed and whether or not salt in the tank will have an adverse effect?

On a side note: I still havent decided if Im going to add salt or not. I know its a debatable matter, but Im hoping that this thread doesnt evolve into another debate on the subject. :flowers:

Thank you. I have already read that and am taking it into consideration.

Im thinking about adding salt because Ive been having some problems with mollies I added a couple weeks ago. One has died and the other two are very inactive and barely eat. My other fish (serpae tetras and harlequin rasbora) are very active so I do not think it is an infection. Since the common thought is that "Mollies will flourish if you add some salt to the tank", I was mulling it over. However, I will be adding other fish sooner or later and am hoping to mine more information on the topic.

So.. once again. Not looking to debate salt or no salt. Just looking for info on the Bumblebee catfish and whether or not it is especially sensitive to salt in the aquarium. :flowers:

I am not sure how much help this will be but I have bumble's in two separate tanks and I do not use salt in my tanks. I have two in one tank and tonight found a THIRD! :) apparently I have a mating pair. So they seem happy enough in my tank to spawn without salt. Maybe this will help a little.

Back
Top Bottom