bumbleebee goby.. brackish or freshwater!??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annnie

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey everyone..

I hear there are 2 types of bumbleebee gobies.. 1 that must live in brackish and 1 that can live in freshwater.

but websites are really confusing me because i read that the Brachygobius xanthozona tolerates freshwater and Brachygobius nunus is only brackish, then other websites mix the names around.

Does anyone know which 1 actually tolerates freshwater?

Some people say the 1 that tolerates freshwater has a shorter life span but others say theirs thrive in the water.

i'm just a bit confused :p and wouldn't mind advice from people with bumbleebee experience

thanks,
annie

thanks but the website doesnt really say. But i've come to the conclusion that the Brachygobius xanthozona is the 1 that can tolerate freshwater.. i'll just have to give them a go, then i'll know for sure :p

Says they come from areas where the ocean meets the river, so they need a brackish tank to thrive, not just survive. If that makes sense.

yeah definatly makes sense dk.. but there's some sites that say that out of the 2 types of BBG they can live in freshwater and alot of people saying they've kept their BBG's in fresh for years..

but yeah i suppose id rather replicate their natural environment to keep them happy :( bummer.. i dont really want to make a brackish tank.

i'm getting a dwarf gourami :) we went to the store and a baby dwarf kept following my bf and the little fellow wouldnt stop looking at him.. my bf fell in love hahahaha i'm finally turning him to the dark side muahaha..

i dont suppose dwarfs can live in 1.005 specific gravity? ;)

I don't think they can, but I am not 100% sure. I would just google fish that can live in brackish water, there HAS to be some! LOL!
Glad you have turned him the "the Darkside" HAHAHAHAA!
Some of the little DG's are SOOO cute! I love mine, he's hilarious. And they will follow you everywhere, a lot of personality packed into one little fish!

dkpate - omg i love my DG called Finley. I feed him by hand the bloodworm with my danios but he is so cool. If you go over to the tank he comes whizzing round to the front and gets all excited cos its almost like he knows who i am!!

He gets all excited and comes to the top and then back to me and he's starting to follow my finger if i move it around the outside of the tank!!

Have you got any pictures of your dg?

Yes, they are on my profile page. I will try to upload some new pics in the next few days. I have taken videos, but I can't get the videos to come up on my computer, I need to find the directions lol!
My red one, Willow, will squirt water at me and jump out at my finger. Try holding your finger an inch or so above the water and see if yours will do it too. Mine gets super excited and starts swimming like a madman when he sees me. If I get near the tank he thinks it's playtime haha! And then he will get my BGK into it and that makes it REALLY funny!

Back
Top Bottom