Can I Culture Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PBirdsong

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I read in a book somewhere that I could place a rock in some water, set it on the window seal, and in a couple of days have algae I could feed my catfish. Does this really work and has anyone tried it? I am trying it right now, but no algae yet. It's just a simple rock sitting in tank water. My window gets direct sunlight from the east . . . until noon. :D

Any thoughts?

I am also looking for that sort of stringy algae and when I had bbs growing in my tank that was on my window sill and started to get algae on it. I to want to allow it to grow on a rock and then add it into my tank as I think it looks great and if it does start to spread I can always trim it when I do my weekly water change so i would not say why you couldnt. Any one any opinions as I also want to do this ?

Exactly! I'm starting to wonder now if this actually works. My first attempt at this failed. Three weeks and no growth. But that window had less light and I was using tap water. So I'm thinking now that the tap water killed the first attempt. That's why I am trying tank water.

Mine was just normal tap water with a sponge filter in. I didnt even addd anything to get the eggs to hatch they just did lol.

If BBA is desired I would think the jar isnt getting enough light.. try a southern exposure window(for northern hemisphere members)..that and if your dosing macro's into your tank water some dechlorinated tap water would probably be better and try adding some of your cycling ammonia.. HTH

yeah, dechlor the tap water, or steal some tank water (which likely has algae spores in it already).
make sure the jar has enough, but not too much, nitrate/phosphate. don't dose flourish Excel at all either.

and make sure the water doesn't get so hot, that it's killing the algae.

yea.. CO2 is bad for this.. :p you want as little CO2 as possible. and alot of light.. but as malkore said.. heat could be an issue..(I assumed AC was still being run.. :oops: )

all that sunlight could still get the water temperature up there.. I would put a cheap thermometer in it... just to make sure.. thats a good point..

If there are no fish in a container and you want to grow lots of algae just add solid fertilzer that contains urea and or ammonium...something like Miracle Grow.

Steve Hampton said:
If there are no fish in a container and you want to grow lots of algae just add solid fertilizer that contains urea and or ammonium...something like Miracle Grow.
What about something that doesn't have fish now, but you want fish later?

I'm currently trying to grow algae in my QT in preparation for getting some Otocats. I started with tank water, algae bits from my tank (soft green algae,) and a longer light period. The tank has only a heater, a light and and an air stone for equipment. I'm tempted to fertilize to make the process go faster, but I don't want to drastically change the water chemistry for fear of harming the future occupants.

If anyone is experiencing a "lack of algae" issue in their FW planted tanks please contact me and I would be happy to provide samples :p

Just some thoughts...

Algae being a living organism...it has to come from somewhere - so taking water from an aquarium with algae in it already would help - and then it can reproduce and you'll have lots of algae in no time.

Just taking tap water, it might take along time before any algae spores make there way into the water sample.

travis simonson said:
If anyone is experiencing a "lack of algae" issue in their FW planted tanks please contact me and I would be happy to provide samples :p
Oh, my planted tank has plenty, hece the timing of wanting Otos. It's the QT that's too clean.

Maybe I can figure out a way to extract the algae on my sand....

Steve Hampton said:
If there are no fish in a container and you want to grow lots of algae just add solid fertilzer that contains urea and or ammonium...something like Miracle Grow.
I believe this experiment was a failure, either that or my nitrate test is broken. I put a small dose of Miracle Grow into my unoccupied QT. The nitrate test read 0. I put in a much larger dose, the water is now blue from the dye, but my nitrates havn't really budged.

Anyone vote for me trying my time-release nitrogen fertilizer next? It will likely make a soggy mush in the bottom of the QT.

(Too bad I don't have a scale, I could compute the required mass of fertilizer to get 10 ppm in 10 gallons of water.)

Miracle Grow has copper and at such a high dose I think you should sterilize the qt. I do not know how to remove trace metals. Pure ammonia should be a great substitute, or could just feed otos veggies if there is not enough algae. HTH and good luck.

yup, my planted tank used to be covered in algea but when I introduced 2 otos in the 15 gallon the tank was algae free in two or three days. Now I feed the blanched zuchini. Also if your gonna qt your otos you should take atvantage of it and acclimate the otos to eating veggies too.Do this because if you leave the veggies in the tank un-eaten for long it will mess up ur water parameters and they will probably eat the algea first.

czcz said:
Miracle Grow has copper and at such a high dose I think you should sterilize the qt. I do not know how to remove trace metals. Pure ammonia should be a great substitute, or could just feed otos veggies if there is not enough algae. HTH and good luck.

azn_fishy55 said:
yup, my planted tank used to be covered in algea but when I introduced 2 otos in the 15 gallon the tank was algae free in two or three days. Now I feed the blanched zuchini. Also if your gonna qt your otos you should take atvantage of it and acclimate the otos to eating veggies too.Do this because if you leave the veggies in the tank un-eaten for long it will mess up ur water parameters and they will probably eat the algea first.

I was planning on doing a 100% water change before adding fish. (Using main tank water for the replacement.) It may be awhile before I get the fish, just getting a long head start on algae buildup right now. Do you think the algae will take up a harmful level of trace minerals? Isn't copper a common parasite treatment?

I was planning on also feeding veggies in the QT. Enough ottos to clean my 75 gallon will whipe out the 10 gallon QT algae in no time. I just want a good supply to get them through a few days while they acclimate to eating veggies.

Back
Top Bottom