Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can i keep my cichlids in a tub?

Well not like a bathtub, but more like a 33gal rubbermaid bin? I'm redoing my entire FW 55gal cichlid tank. Removing the river rock and putting silica sand in its place. Just want to keep the cichlids (maybe 10 of them) in a 33gal bin with their water for a few days, while the sand settles. this ok?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

yep, sure can... a local breeder only uses 100g rubbermaid tubs to breed his fish

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

not a cichlids expert at all and mfd is by far one of the top guys on here, but i have seen plenty of fish kept in bins for temp solutions. As long as you havent had any chemicals in it then youll be fine.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

can you get a filter in there or at the very least an air pump? and depending where you are, a heater.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a 20gallon rubbermaid container I used as a hospital tank for a gold barb about a year ago. Unfortunately for the fish being treated after 2 months of care and being healed completely then reintroduction to the tank, she was again viciously attacked (tiger barbs). I ended up having her in the "tank" for around 4 months with a heater and a simple Whisper HOB filter (HOB's work great because they fit over the lip of the tub, you just need to keep the water level high).

What I noticed over that long period of time was the container slowly started to deform. The sides bulged out and while I wasn't concerned the container would suddenly collapse, it did give me pause about using them for longterm care.

If I were to do it again I'd get 2 of the same containers and have them inside of each other to give the walls a bit more strength. But I was dosing with Pimafix and Melafix and (Prime to dechlor the water) and so no signs of the container breaking down.

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com