Can I put a snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaKing

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10 gal. community and I'm having trouble with what looks like brown algae. Does a Nerite eat brown algae good? Could I even put one in with 3 Platies, 2 Ghosts and a Betta? Am I Overstocked? Or is there any other creature that you can find in most stores I could put in? Thx

BettaKing said:
I have a 10 gal. community and I'm having trouble with what looks like brown algae. Does a Nerite eat brown algae good? Could I even put one in with 3 Platies, 2 Ghosts and a Betta? Am I Overstocked? Or is there any other creature that you can find in most stores I could put in? Thx

I believe nerites are good algae eaters but most like apple snails better. Snails don't have a lot of bioload so you'd be fine. When you say ghost do you mean ghost shrimp?

I believe nerites are good algae eaters but most like apple snails better. Snails don't have a lot of bioload so you'd be fine. When you say ghost do you mean ghost shrimp?
Yes I meant Ghost Shrimp. And I've heard Apple Snails(snails in general for that matter)Have pretty large bio-loads. But I've heard Nerites are some of the best algae eaters and have a relatively small bio-load. But I'm wondering if joined with these other inhabitants would it be too much...

IME, apple snails have pretty large bioloads and aren't actually good algae eaters.
If you want a snail go for the nerite, definitely. You could also get a couple otos, they're excellent algae eaters.
I don't think you're overstocked, either :>

3 otos but nerites are great algae eaters. 2 cleaned up my 5G in 3 days from brown algae.

I'd put the nerites an put 5-10 ghost shrimp. If you can get Amano shrimp get them. They are algae eaters aswell.

Back
Top Bottom