Can low pH kill the good bacteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DocBob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I read somewhere a long time ago that when pH approaches 6.0 (if I remember right) that this could kill off the good bacteria (or at least stop them from functioning).
Does anyone know if this is true, and at what pH this happens?

Bacteria have a PH range like any other organism. I would have to believe this to be true at some point, although I don't know what that value is.

DocBob,

The nitrogen cycle is an act of nature and will happen, regardless, in the absence of bactericides. As long as there is ammonia present, it is a biological given that nitrifying bacteria are going to undergo conversions in order to process it.

Having said that, there is an "ideal" pH range in which this occurs (a threshold of optimal conditions for reproduction), and outside of that range, cell reproduction slows, and does so to a point that it fools us into believing it has stopped. In actuality, it is continuing on as laws of nature dictate, but at a drastically decelerated rate ... even in extreme acidic, or extreme basic, conditions.

I would think there would be a point where the bacteria stops reproducing and dies off. If the conditions were the PH at 0 (like Battery Acid) the bacteria would surely die off, or basic like PH at 14 (draino) it would also. I think the scale is more in the PH 5 (low GH water) to like PH of 10 (Great Salt Lake).

Back
Top Bottom