Can someone help me get a straight answer?!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dojo loach are my favorite fish ever.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427833511.387533.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427833591.243255.jpg
The top one is very close to full grown and the bottom is my new baby one.

These fish are fantastic if you want a playful and active fish. Mine full grown one will eat straight out of my hand and is always roaming his tank 24/7.

These fish will eat about everything. Only thing I've seen him spit out is shrimp pellets. He eats flakes, bloodworms, algae wafers, massivore pellets, veggie wafers, and some tubifex.

The only problems I have seen with this lovely fish:
1. They have no respect for personal space :) whatsoever! That being said, the ONLY fish he never really worked well with was Cory cats. The reason was he would just run them over because of his size compared to them and it would sorta stress them out.
2. Smaller plants. These guys are diggers, if you have sand they will dig little holes, under rocks, plants, whatever looking for food. I've given up on my Staurogyne Repens ever growing because he keeps pulling them up. Larger plants like Amazon swords, Java Fern, vals, with strong root systems will be fine.

Hope this helps :)

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Very cool! Do they work well with gravel?? That's what I have in the tank right now and I wouldn't want them to get hurt.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Very cool! Do they work well with gravel?? That's what I have in the tank right now and I wouldn't want them to get hurt.

It should be small rounded gravel. Though they much prefer sand like all loaches. Loaches are scaleless fish so running across the bottom of the tank on sharp gravel can cut them up.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Hmm, I might have to put off the dojo for a future tank. I have smooth gravel but it's on the medium size. Don't want to be putting anything at risk.

Very pretty and fast fish. No less than a 4ft tank because they are very active swimmers. They are also very aggressive eaters. You might need to keep feeding till they get full so the rest of ur fish have a chance. Needs a school of 5+

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks! This is where I'm at right now.
AquStockImage.php

Sounds good. I'll be following...

Sent from my LG-P769 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Gold Dojo Loaches (a pair for sure) is awesome!
I've had mine for about three months and they are so silly!
They swim all over the tank and they even eat from my hand, both of them do actually. I've even gotten my GBR to eat from my hand as well! Which I don't think is very common haha.

I have a 29g High Tank with 5 black-skirt tetras, two gold dojo loaches, a powdered blue gourami (do not suggest getting one with what I have, I am giving him away to my friend eventually- he's aggressive to the others), and I have a few ghost shrimp and two GBR's.
Oh! and one Otocinclus
They're an amazing community tank except the Gourami can be a little aggressive over territory sometimes.

Hmm, I might have to put off the dojo for a future tank. I have smooth gravel but it's on the medium size. Don't want to be putting anything at risk.

Even kuhlis are like Dojos, all the loaches are scaleless, but the gravel should be fine, as long as there isn't any smaller sharper bits on the bottom.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

This is the gravel. Obviously super close up. What do you think?

Attachments

• 1427860668298.jpg
    1427860668298.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 47
Looks rounded off and they would be fine but if you can, change to sand eventually. They will certainly show their appreciation for it!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Awesome, thanks!! I'll be moving by the end of the year so should I go the loach route I can plan to change over then. If you don't mind me going back to an older question, if I go dojo, should/could I go with a snail that reproduces?? That way all my snails aren't gone and the dojo could help control the population?

Dojo do not eat snails that I'm aware of. I have mystery snails and all he does is push them out of his way

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ah. Well the AqAdvisor warned me that dojo eats snails and to not keep them together. That's the only reason I asked lol. I was gonna go with the nerite snail.

What you can also do is get a snail that does repopulate, and at up a small 5 gallon tank for the snails. When you get alot put some in with the dojo, you will always have snails and the loach. This is what i do with my assassin snail.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Np. A simple sponge filter and heater is all that's really needed. I have pond snails in an unheated 10 gallon bin with a spare hob filter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom