Can this bulb be used for this light fixture?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I recently got this off Amazon.com:
Amazon.com: Aqueon Coralife 05611 Aqualight Dual Linear Strip T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 48-Inch: Pet Supplies
I have a freshwater aquarium, and I found that by reliable sources (Thanks to all who responded to my other thread!) that the actinic bulb is not a favorite for tropical fish. To replace the actinic bulb, I bought this:
Amazon.com: Aqueon Coralife 05625 Colormax T-5 Fluorescent Aquarium Lamp, 48-Inch: Pet Supplies
There is still a 10,000K High Output bulb that one of my prettiest platies hides from. I didn't like that, and I hope to replace the 10,000K bulb with an Aqueon daylight bulb. I found A 48" daylight bulb, but I don't know if it fits my light fixture. Here is the bulb I found:
Amazon.com: Aqueon Coralife 05637 6,700K T5 Fluorescent Lamp, 48-Inch: Pet Supplies
Does this fit with my fixture???

A 48" T5 in a 48" T5 fixture. I pretty sure you did good! ;) I have a 6,700k 48". Keeps my fish happy and my low light plants thriving.

I'd let the platy get used to the light that is in there.

The amazon listing doesn't really specify, but you just need to make sure that you are matching the same type of bulbs, whether they are t5no or t5ho. The wattage on each bulb will tell you which ones they are.

But yeah, don't buy a bulb just for a platy, going from 10000k to 6700k isn't much different anyway, it's just a little bit more yellow.

Be careful, sometimes the bulbs that go in the fixtures are shorter than the length of the fixture. For example, my 30" T5HO uses 2 24" bulbs.

I'd let the platy get used to the light that is in there.

The amazon listing doesn't really specify, but you just need to make sure that you are matching the same type of bulbs, whether they are t5no or t5ho. The wattage on each bulb will tell you which ones they are.

But yeah, don't buy a bulb just for a platy, going from 10000k to 6700k isn't much different anyway, it's just a little bit more yellow.
It's not just the platy, it doesn't look natural. My scenery is set up to be natural. It's all "living" shades of green and fake wood. A fake stump is there too. If I had neon blue and white I would never replace ANY bulbs, but it doesn't look right. Do you think any harm will come to the scared Platy?

It's not just the platy, it doesn't look natural. My scenery is set up to be natural. It's all "living" shades of green and fake wood. A fake stump is there too. If I had neon blue and white I would never replace ANY bulbs, but it doesn't look right. Do you think any harm will come to the scared Platy?

A light isn't going to hurt the fish, if he is hiding he may have other issues, or he could just be scared and needs time to adjust.

I don't know what you mean by 'natural', a 10000k is a bit brighter white, but it's still pretty natural in some biotopes. If there isn't enough yellow in there for you, you could always add tannins to tint the water a little.

I've never really spent much time on switching bulbs out based on different shades of white (kelvin ratings vs actual colors vary greatly from brand to brand), but just do what I mentioned in the first reply and make sure you get the right type of bulb and you'll be fine.

phoenixkiller said:
I already ordered bulbs that are 48". That's what it uses.

Are you sure? The fixture would need to be a few inches longer for the 48" bulbs to fit.

maxwellag said:
Are you sure? The fixture would need to be a few inches longer for the 48" bulbs to fit.

The link he/she posted says that a 48" bulbs fits. I have ran into the problem before however.

Back
Top Bottom