cannister filter peeps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

creno9210

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive got one coming for my turtle tank.

Question... I have a piece of mesh from an unused filter pad floating in my tank (which I must say is almost cycled!!!! Nitrites have been dropping and dropping woop woop! !!!

Anyways. Ive never had a cannister filter so I'm wondering if it okay toput the mesh I have collecting thengood bacteria on into the part where the carbon goes?

Filter pad is in another tank fyi...
cannister will go into my un cycled tank.

Will thisbhelp the tank cycle?

Phone is dead and I'm on my kindle which is pissing me off sorry for amy typo.

Carbon is debatable, it's good for removing medications and clearing tannins but that is about it, if you want a water clarifier choose Purigen.

And most definitely add it if it has enough bacteria to help start the cycle!

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

Personally for mine I have

Bottom layer: pads, course on bottom fine on top

Middle: bio media and a pad (taken from an active tank to help cycle the tank my canister is on)

Top: my actual bio media.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422794782.012440.jpg

A week into my fish less cycle :)

Hope this helps!

Caleb

Thanks. I think I might just leave some carbon in there. put the pad I have in my almost cycled tank on the bottom? And maybe add a few sponges.

29 gallon~ 5 giant danio, pleco, chinese algae eater
35 gallon~ red ear slider, soon to add guppys and shrimps

Thanks. I think I might just leave some carbon in there. put the pad I have in my almost cycled tank on the bottom? And maybe add a few sponges.

You put the pad in the bottom because most canister filters intake and start from the bottom up. A filter pad like in all filtration systems takes the heat and gets the physical junk out of the water first. Also so it doesn't clog up your porous filter media.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g tetras/dojo loach/clown pleco
~75g going to be African cichlids

Awesome thank you. Have never had a cannister. Got it for the turtle tank. 8 days till it gets here and his tank looks gross. 50 percent eater change daily. But still is gross.

Awesome thank you. Have never had a cannister. Got it for the turtle tank. 8 days till it gets here and his tank looks gross. 50 percent eater change daily. But still is gross.

Sadly turtles are illegal in my state as "pets" but could you post a pic?

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

What canister are you getting ? Some are similar and some quite different in the way they're set up.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Oh my. A turtle. Illegal? Wow.

3 year old male I just adopted with the tank.

Attachments

• 1422850577025.jpg
    1422850577025.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 65

Attachments

• 1422850625200.jpg
    1422850625200.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 64
*Marineland Marineland Dual Purpose Canister Filter HOT Magnum 250 - (Up to 55 Gallon): :*
This is what I bought

Which I'm hoping I can sort of rig it where I can have it in the tank and not hanging on the back. I can't stand splashing sounds and with the turtle, well you have about 6 inches with no water.

I'm not totally familiar with that filter but I don't think it's the right one for the application you'd like to use it for. I could be totally wrong but judging by the photo and manual, your cord and pump components are in the base of the system. As well, I can't find any literature about overall size, but it looks as though the discharge will be more than 6" above the water line and the intake is only about 6". Again, I could be totally wrong but please keeps us posted.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Thanks. I'm getting it on the 9th and I'll update. Thanks for the info!

Carbon is debatable, it's good for removing medications and clearing tannins but that is about it, if you want a water clarifier choose Purigen.

And most definitely add it if it has enough bacteria to help start the cycle!

Caleb

Carbon is not debatable in a turtle tank, it is almos necessary for a turtle tank to control odor unless you are doing water changes every day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Carbon is not debatable in a turtle tank, it is almos necessary for a turtle tank to control odor unless you are doing water changes every day.

Sorry I don't know much about turtles. I didn't think it's effects changes from fish->turtle. My bad. Glad I learned something.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Glad I'm learning stuff too I love this forum ♡

UGHHHHHH.
so I thought this was an internal filter. I ended up using this filter on my main tank because the turtle tank it was like a loud *** waterfall. I couldn't stand it
Bought a cheap internal filter for his tank. And now I'm kissed because it's not doing a great job with the turtle ****....literally..

Any recommendations on an internal filter that kicks ***?

29 gallon~ 5 giant danio, pleco, chinese algae eater, two feeder gold fish because adorable
35 gallon~ red ear slider, two feeder goldfish left..

They advertise many internal filters for use with turtles, but the fact is none of them can handle turtles larger than a couple of inches. I upgraded to a fx5 on my turtle's 55 and I'm finally satisfied.

Back
Top Bottom