Cannot cycle for the life of me!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treshock01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my second go on cycling. First go was three months and I gave up for a bit. This go is certainly catching up (on month 2) and I'm going to go crazy. Here are the facts...

15g tank. Dual sponge filter. Sand substrate. pH is usually 7-7.4

The best I got to was it processing 2ppm ammonia in 2-3 days and NEVER seeing nitrites, but things took a turn...

I was told I was nearing the end and that I should do a big ole' water change because my nitrates were 80ppm or more. I added conditioned water and got them to about 10ppm. I added just a bit more ammonia to get it just above 1ppm to let it process one more time, hoping it would take a day, but it took a week. So I added a bit more, probably closer to 2ppm of ammonia and now I'm here...

It's week 2 of it processing 2ppm of ammonia, although I still never see nitrites. Haven't seen them since I think week 3. This is the 4th day I've read .25ppm of ammonia, 0ppm of nitrites, and 10-20ppm of nitrates (using the API drop test kit).

I have zero clue what to do. I'm at a loss. Almost month 6 total of trying to successfully cycle so I can finally have fish in a safe tank. Someone please give me the holy grail of cycling so I can harbor life in my living room, preferably soon.

This is my second go on cycling. First go was three months and I gave up for a bit. This go is certainly catching up (on month 2) and I'm going to go crazy. Here are the facts...

15g tank. Dual sponge filter. Sand substrate. pH is usually 7-7.4

The best I got to was it processing 2ppm ammonia in 2-3 days and NEVER seeing nitrites, but things took a turn...

I was told I was nearing the end and that I should do a big ole' water change because my nitrates were 80ppm or more. I added conditioned water and got them to about 10ppm. I added just a bit more ammonia to get it just above 1ppm to let it process one more time, hoping it would take a day, but it took a week. So I added a bit more, probably closer to 2ppm of ammonia and now I'm here...

It's week 2 of it processing 2ppm of ammonia, although I still never see nitrites. Haven't seen them since I think week 3. This is the 4th day I've read .25ppm of ammonia, 0ppm of nitrites, and 10-20ppm of nitrates (using the API drop test kit).

I have zero clue what to do. I'm at a loss. Almost month 6 total of trying to successfully cycle so I can finally have fish in a safe tank. Someone please give me the holy grail of cycling so I can harbor life in my living room, preferably soon.

Have you tried taking out one sponge filter? If you have no fish = no waste, so your want that to build up.

Have any friends that have established aquarium or can you ask your LFS for some used filter media? Either that or get some bottled quick start and you will be good in short amount of time.

Are you seeing 0.25ppm ammonia down from 2ppm after 2 days but cant get it down to 0ppm?

If so i would just do a big water change and put a few fish in there. Keep testing water and do a water change if the ammonia creeps up. Increase stocking after a week or 2 if you arent seeing any issues with water parameters. Rinse and repeat until you are stocked.

Have you tried taking out one sponge filter? If you have no fish = no waste, so your want that to build up.

Have any friends that have established aquarium or can you ask your LFS for some used filter media? Either that or get some bottled quick start and you will be good in short amount of time.

There is only one filter in there, just two sponges on it, not two filters. Sorry about that confusion there, I just forget what it's called so I said dual.

Sadly, I'm the only one in my friend group who has fish. And I've put quick start in it a few days ago and it didn't seem to do the trick. I'll get some more and while I'm at it I can ask the store.

Aiken Drum,

Used to be like that. Now it's after a bit over a week. Do you think I should still try that?

Last edited:
Aiken Drum,

Used to be like that. Now it's after a bit over a week. Do you think I should still try that?
Is this a reply to my post?

You have some cycle, just not enough to say you are cycled. Your ammonia is going down, nitrate is coming out the other end and the big plus you arent seeing nitrite.

You probably have enough bacteria in the system to support a light stocking and by following a fish in cycle process you can safely add fish. Much safer with a partial cycle established than starting from scratch.

Its up to you. Fish in cycle can be done safely if done properly or you can wait out the fishless cycle. Who knows how long that might take.

Personally after 6 months i would want to see something swimming around. What stocking plans do you have?

Is this a reply to my post?

You have some cycle, just not enough to say you are cycled. Your ammonia is going down, nitrate is coming out the other end and the big plus you arent seeing nitrite.

You probably have enough bacteria in the system to support a light stocking and by following a fish in cycle process you can safely add fish. Much safer with a partial cycle established than starting from scratch.

Its up to you. Fish in cycle can be done safely if done properly or you can wait out the fishless cycle. Who knows how long that might take.

Personally after 6 months i would want to see something swimming around. What stocking plans do you have?

Haha, yeah it was, I'm new to this cite. And... an axolotl... which I think gives off way more waste, sadly.

Back
Top Bottom