Cant be cycled in 2 weeks, can it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
elmont/valley stream, long Island, New York
Hy guys, so I was trying to cylcle my cousin tank... 45 gallon dome tank.... Neways he wanted to do a fish cylce... So I went along with it...anyways I decided in putting the sponge that was in the 20 gallon filter that was in my 10gallon filter....It was full of crap but i went along and placed it in the 45 gallon....and I squeezed it to get stuff to go in the 45 gallon filter(fluval 305)...... I also place a sponge in my 55 for about one week ... I placed it in the 45 yesturday....... Oh I almost forgot I put the biomax from the 10 gallon in the fluval... ( I put that 3 days before I added any fish in the 45).... I would think that some bacteria died out....newyas today I checked the parameters and got veeeerrrrrry slight ammonia , not even sure if it was .25.... Then I checked nitrite, it was 0.... Then I checked nitrate it was between 5.0 and 10 ppm..... Can it be cycled already??????

i have exactly the same readings with my 10G after 2 weeks with fish-in 8^(. I cannot believe that I have cycled the tank. Waiting for tomorrow to retest the tank.

Bettababe1011 said:
With seeding material, my fishless cycle was done in a week.

+1. With enough transplanted beneficial bacteria you can cycle a tank instantly. Just make sure you add new media next to the old to seed it for when the dirty one needs to be thrown away.

The whole point of cycling is to build up the beneficial bacteria, so seeding with old media should kick that process off in a hurry.

This is kind if the purpose of some of those additives that contain bacteria and enzymes, which I used in the past, though good media from a fully-cycled tank is likely even better.

Easy way to tell is put about 4 ppm ammonia in the tank wait 12 hours and test. If you have 0.0 pmm ammonia, 0.0 Nitrites, and under 20 pmm Nitarte, then you have completed your cycle. But you must add ammonia and wait to see if it is gone to be sure.

Easy way to tell is put about 4 ppm ammonia in the tank wait 12 hours and test. If you have 0.0 pmm ammonia, 0.0 Nitrites, and under 20 pmm Nitarte, then you have completed your cycle. But you must add ammonia and wait to see if it is gone to be sure.

He's doing a fish-in cycle. You can't dose with ammonia. :p

Soooo guys, let's jus say the tank is cycled..... I have one angel, one pearl gouramie and one gold gouraime( same as three spot gouramie jus different clot pigment) I also have some other smal fish that was housed in the angel in my ten gallon tank.... Should u combine those in the 45 as my cousins community.....i also have 5 sarpea tetras but I am porbably going to return them since theybwould conflict with my angel.........ps my angel is my main fish.... I cannot get rid of him... Lol.... What should I do...I also. Don't mind retiring one of my gouramies...

cant see any major problems serpae and angels maybe but its hard to say cause mine live fine with my rams but if you list all the fish you plan to combine along with the tank size i believe its a 45 just list everything you plan to put in it

I used seading material this time around as well and it cycled super fast, barely noticed it at all.... :D almost feels like cheating!

See i tend to go for the 24 cycle process that hasnt let me down yet.
I make sure when i buy a filter it uses the same cartridge as my others or can atleast fit it. I do a water change from my established tank and put the water in the new tank. Take a plastic jug cut it in half scoop up gravel in the established tank and set the whole jug in the new tank let run for 24 hours and it has always worked without a dead fish yet. I also use some of the bacteria in a bottle during water changes.

See i tend to go for the 24 cycle process that hasnt let me down yet.
I make sure when i buy a filter it uses the same cartridge as my others or can atleast fit it. I do a water change from my established tank and put the water in the new tank. Take a plastic jug cut it in half scoop up gravel in the established tank and set the whole jug in the new tank let run for 24 hours and it has always worked without a dead fish yet. I also use some of the bacteria in a bottle during water changes.

me too and with great results but also i test my water to be sure but usually takes under a week about 5 days was the shortest for me anyway

Back
Top Bottom