Can't bring nitrates down?? Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFishGirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My nitrates are at 80 and have been for a month or so. Water changes have been doing nothing! I just did two water changes this week because of it. Normally I do every other week or so.
I've tried feeding less and it changed nothing. I just checked my parameters (water change about 6 hours ago - no feeding until after I checked 5 min ago)
Ammonia: 0
GH: 180 (highest test strip goes - raised after water change)
KH: 240 (highest the test strip goes)
PH: 8.0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 80
Temp: 80

I use Prime.
I used to use stress coat+ but stopped using it after prime because it does the same exact stuff (except reduce stress in fish) and I didn't know if it was safe to add both. So I currently only use Prime in my tank.

I have no plants.

Stock:
5x angelfish
1x red tail shark
1x Oscar (Juvenile - rehoming in future)
10x red-eye tetras
1x female beta
2x mollies
1x Cory cat (temporarily)
2x ghost glass catfish
2x Khuli loaches
4x mystery snails

In a 55 gallon.

And no worries, in about a year or so I will be moving out and buying (many) more tanks, as I won't be under my mom's strict rules anymore. These fish all also have an emergency home to go to if needed for any reason. (My best friend/her mom are fish crazy too - have 10+ tanks)

Does anyone know what the problem could be?? I'm worried about high nitrates causing deformities in my beautiful Oscar/angelfish :(

Check your tap water parameters... I think you may have nitrates there. Some nice, little to no maintenance plants may help a little, but unless they're growing a lot it won't do much. if there are nitrates in the tap some RO water mixed in with the tap would be a more viable option.

You are incredibly overstocked

It might be because of the stock levels, do a water change every two days

I know people who had nitrate problems and did regular water changes and nothing happened but then they tried take out 50 percent water put 25 percent back in then take another 50 percent out and the refill the tank back too the top. It worked perfectly for them and also took away bunch of the nitrates. Main thing though is you have to make sure it's not coming from the water you are using.

- from personal experience also

Your a little overstocked; especially when your angels get full grown! You can probably get away with it.. if you get on a schedule and do a 25% water change once a week instead of every other. Also be sure to vac out your gravel every W/C. Only feed once a day and throw out those test strips...get your self a legite water testing kit (for example API has a pretty basic kit that's way more accurate than test strips! Hope this helps good luck!

Hi! I do have vacuum my gravel out with EVERY water change no exception! :)

And I guess I know the angels will get quite big they're about half dollar sized now (bodies) and once I get out of this house they will be getting a much bigger aquarium! I plan to have AT LEAST 75 gallons but I am really wanting a 100+ strictly for my angels.

Is the stock really that bad? :(

A PWC at 25% a week... Should that drop it?

I do normally feed once a day, around 5-6 with the exception of an occasional peas treat every once or twice a week.

RO water I can get for free at a fish shop that's about a half an hour away when I go with my friend and her mom. I would need to invest in some 5 gallon buckets. Would three buckets (at 5 gal each) be enough per water change do you think? I need to buy more test strips, i'm out. :(

I'd love to get some nice API liquid tests but I currently don't have a job and it's hard to get the money right now for just the test strips. My boyfriend is supporting a lot for me since my mom does not support my fish AT ALL (I'm 16) :(
obviously I know testing the water is a must and I will get more test stuff, I just don't know if i can afford API liquid testing ATM.. :/

But thanks for everyone's help! I am going to look into getting some 5 gallon buckets (hopefully from my friend!) and start hitting up that LFS for some free RO water!

Its good to see a kid start young in the hobby; unfortunatly its gonna be hard to up keep with the fish with out support or money. The fish need to be cared for properly with water tests etc. Otherwise your just gonna keep replacing fish till you can't affford them anymore!

Hi! I do have vacuum my gravel out with EVERY water change no exception! :)

And I guess I know the angels will get quite big they're about half dollar sized now (bodies) and once I get out of this house they will be getting a much bigger aquarium! I plan to have AT LEAST 75 gallons but I am really wanting a 100+ strictly for my angels.

Is the stock really that bad? :(

A PWC at 25% a week... Should that drop it?
If it were my tank, I'd do 30% pwc every other day till it was down to at least 20 and then do 25% twice a week (depending on test results) permanently with that stock.

Its good to see a kid start young in the hobby; unfortunatly its gonna be hard to up keep with the fish with out support or money. The fish need to be cared for properly with water tests etc. Otherwise your just gonna keep replacing fish till you can't affford them anymore!

Hahaha thanks when I started I honesty had no idea about ANYTHING. I simply said I want to use my birthday money on a big fish tank. Craigslist -> 55 gallon -> fish store -> fish next day

Didn't cycle, have a heater, or anything. Had an angel. 2 black skirt tetras, and a platy.

The angel was very strong and everyone but the platy survived luckily. I did research and suddenly: BAM cycling, breeding, nitrites, nitrates OMG what did I get myself into?

Fortunately, I took a liking to all the work! I loved the responsibility my fish were teaching me! Needless to say, I got test strips, a heater, cycling done, etc.

I was able to keep up with it all because I HAD a job. It was a little "ma and pa shop" unfortunately, I had knee problems and then I had my grandpa pass away (we were very close) and the two weeks I was out for those reasons combined made my boss mad and she refused to talk to me at all. She refuses to answer her phone or the work phone if it's me so needless to say I lost my job. My driver's test is August 1st and I'm currently finding a new job. I will have the funding I WAS getting a good proper income for my fish I promise. Losing my job just struck hard. :/

Hello Angel...

Nitrates are at the end of the "nitrogen cycle", so even a higher level of this form of nitrogen isn't a bad thing. At most, this level will give your fish a slight headache. The level can be improved, though. Introduce some floating plants like Anacharis and Pennywort. Both will thrive in water with higher nitrates and lower the level naturally.

Large, frequent water changes will guarantee stable water conditions. So, every week or two, change half the tank water and replace it with pure, treated tap water. Your fish and plants will be fine.

B

Back
Top Bottom