Catfish questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZcarFR-S

Aquarium Advice Activist
I love catfish and am looking to put a catfish in my bigger tank. I love the way the red tails look and the tiger shovel nose but my aquarium is not that big to house those. I have a Rafael and will be adding another but are there any other small to mid sized cats that have a similar look to the red tail or the TSN?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

From what i see its a 30 gallon on his bio that already has a common pleco and 2 turtles in it

I used to have an "upside down" catfish who was rather interesting. They only get to about 4" and are full of character. Minimum tank size for them is a 29 gallon.

They don't look much like the species you mentioned above however; they are just the first I thought of.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 55g is currently being set up. Building stand this weekend and going to set the canister filter ect up next week. I removed the turtles to their own tank. I have 1 common placo, 1 bristlenose pleco 3 Cory cats 1 spotted Rafael catfish 3 Cory cats and red tail shark.

I am not looking to add to my current tank just thinking about the future of my tanks.

I want something that's going to be like 10inch or so

Synodontis eupterus or angelicus would be about the largest suitable for a 55. Not many catfish that grow to 10" then stop, most are smaller or much larger. The common pleco will outgrow the 55.

Yea i don't plan I'm stopping at 55g this time next year I plan on having a 400g

Pictus cats are nice

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I want something that's going to be like 10inch or so

Synodontis eupterus or angelicus would be about the largest suitable for a 55. Not many catfish that grow to 10" then stop, most are smaller or much larger. The common pleco will outgrow the 55.

Corydora's tend to stay under 2.5". Most synodontis are around 4", but some can get up to 10". There's other cats that can get much, much larger. e.g. the sailfin, which can grow over 2.5' long.

Synodontis and other cats:
Larger Catfish

Corydoras:
Corydoras Catfish For Sale: Cory Cats in Many Varieties
Some corys get pretty big

A pictus is the one cat I know that really looks like a catfish but stays pretty small but is active

You could keep a redtail or a shovelnose in a 400g for a while before it out grew it, but if it out grew a 400g have fun finding someone with a larger tank to take it from you lol.

Back
Top Bottom