Centerpiece Fish for 20h

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arklatex

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need some ideas on a centerpiece fish for my tank.The tank is a 20g high. It has been set up and running for a year, the current stock is:

7 Harlequin rasboras
1 BN pleco

*RCS on the way, may get as many as 20 depending on how many survive the shipping*

I do not want a dwarf gourami, Ive had one before so i want something different... Maybe a ram? or a Bosemani Rainbow? or a Killifish? Help!!!

I also have a 20 h. My center pc. is a blue german ram and a rainbow bosemani. Every one gets along well. The rainbow does seem to take up more room in swimming around and is always front and center. He doesn't nip, he is just active. The ram is the same size and he doesn't like all the movement either. As I said, they get along fine! There are black skirted tetra, serpae tetra, neons, guppies, cory, ottos, shrimp, rabbit snail, nerite snails, ramhorn snail, heavily planted and I do WC every 5 days. Not familiar with the killifish. but I hope this helped! Good luck!

I am very interested in the ram, but i read somewhere that they are hard to keep? I have no experience with them.

Killifish are top water swimmers n will mostly stay up top .. they come in several different colors. A friend of mine keeps them and loves em..

German rams arent as hardy a bolivan rams but you could be successful with them your tank has been set up awhile so that will help

I am very interested in the ram, but i read somewhere that they are hard to keep? I have no experience with them.

I opted for a Bolivian Ram as they can tolerate changes in water params better. I have a pair in my 20. The other Rams, from what I have learned, are pickier about ph levels, etc. I think the Bolivian is hardier. Other people do have the German Blues though, and they find they have no problems.

Along with the rams there are other "dwarf" cichlids from South America that would be great centerpiece fish. Most of the apistos would be good. Personally I have 2 Laetacara curviceps, and they are the cutest little things! They love swimming around the plants in my tank and going through the driftwood. I would definitely recommend them to you! But look around as some of the dwarves, you'll be shocked at how many there are!

Along with the rams there are other "dwarf" cichlids from South America that would be great centerpiece fish. Most of the apistos would be good. Personally I have 2 Laetacara curviceps, and they are the cutest little things! They love swimming around the plants in my tank and going through the driftwood. I would definitely recommend them to you! But look around as some of the dwarves, you'll be shocked at how many there are!

AquaKai are these other dwarf cichlids harder to keep in terms of ph levels etc than the Bolivians? I ask because I have often thought of adding more dwarf cichlids into my tanks (over time). And do they do well when mixed together? Could you have Bolvians with, say, Apistos? What I know about them is what I have read and what the LFS has told me in terms of the Bolivians being easier to keep, so my knowledge is quite limited.

AquaKai are these other dwarf cichlids harder to keep in terms of ph levels etc than the Bolivians? I ask because I have often thought of adding more dwarf cichlids into my tanks (over time). And do they do well when mixed together? Could you have Bolvians with, say, Apistos? What I know about them is what I have read and what the LFS has told me in terms of the Bolivians being easier to keep, so my knowledge is quite limited.

The curviceps are really tolerant of most things. I had a bad time with some water quality after I had an emergency that made me leave without warning for 4 days, and they were perfectly fine. They aren't picky at all, and adapt to most pHs. I would be carefully about the apistos and others because they're territorial. My curviceps are very passive. My cories "beat" them. I mean when feeding time comes they patiently wait in the lower-middle part and try not to be beaten by the diamond tetras I have. I don't see them getting in fights but apistos may be a bit more fight-y. As long as the fish have sufficient space I think they'd all be good; although, I wouldn't put more than 2 types of bottom dwelling dwarves in a 40-65, and more than 3 in a 75.

I agree with AquaKai. I have a pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides in my 29G and they aren't sensitive to my pH at all really. I have some driftwood in there that lowers it but they really thrive in my tank. My water changes don't seem to affect them at all (where I live the pH is really high). They are wonderful fish! So active and curious. I was lucky enough to purchase a pair that gets along great and they spawn often. I've raised three successful batches of fry in the past year. They are great parents. I have the pair with 2 gold rams and a pair of GBR's and they all get along just fine.

Hi again! Just wanted to let you know that my ram has been very easy to keep. Until I read these posts, I didn't know that they were hard to keep!! You do as you please, which I am sure you will, the other fish mentioned are really great too! When you are finished, post a picture. Would love to see the end decision!

Thanks to everyone for the info. The more I research these types of fish the more I want to get a bigger tank! I think this new hobby of mine is slowly turning into an addiction... There is just so many possibilities and different styles its almost mind boggling.

Hi again! Just wanted to let you know that my ram has been very easy to keep. Until I read these posts, I didn't know that they were hard to keep!! You do as you please, which I am sure you will, the other fish mentioned are really great too! When you are finished, post a picture. Would love to see the end decision!

You've provided some great info, as well, Thomasina. Always great to hear stories about interesting tanks that work! Really enjoyed this thread.

Killifish centrepiece ???

Attachments

• image-1937675892.jpg
    image-1937675892.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom