Spotted Blue Eye tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garmapple

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! I'm planning a 10 gallon and looking for tankmate suggestions for Spotted Blue Eyes (Pseudomugil gertrudae). Tank will be heavily planted. I've been looking at kubotai rasboras, dwarf gobies, and shrimp (of course). AqAdvisor is showing 81% for like 6 blue eye and 8 kubotai, but I'm curious if anyone has opinions on potential overstocking or if 10 gal would even be suitable for these fish/shoal requirements. Looking for any suggestions as well!

Hi everyone! I'm planning a 10 gallon and looking for tankmate suggestions for Spotted Blue Eyes (Pseudomugil gertrudae). Tank will be heavily planted. I've been looking at kubotai rasboras, dwarf gobies, and shrimp (of course). AqAdvisor is showing 81% for like 6 blue eye and 8 kubotai, but I'm curious if anyone has opinions on potential overstocking or if 10 gal would even be suitable for these fish/shoal requirements. Looking for any suggestions as well!

10 gallons is the " minimum" suggested tank so, like with any tank with fish that do better in schools, a larger and longer tank would be better so that you can have a school of at least 6-8 of the Blue Eyes in the tank. If this is not possible, I'd stick with fish that will stay closer to the bottom ( i.e. the shrimps, gobies or dwarf catfish) so that there will be no competition for space in the smaller tank. Other possible fish for a larger tank instead of the Rasboras would be the smaller Tetra species like Glo-lites, Black Neons, Green neons, and Ember Tetras. There are also smaller danio species that will stay closer to the bottom such as Glo-lites, Gold rings, CPDs and similar. Keep in mind that the Blue-eyes are usually gregarious feeders so you need to also have other species that are not timid feeders so that they can compete for the food.

Hope this helps. (y)

10 gallons is the " minimum" suggested tank so, like with any tank with fish that do better in schools, a larger and longer tank would be better so that you can have a school of at least 6-8 of the Blue Eyes in the tank. If this is not possible, I'd stick with fish that will stay closer to the bottom ( i.e. the shrimps, gobies or dwarf catfish) so that there will be no competition for space in the smaller tank. Other possible fish for a larger tank instead of the Rasboras would be the smaller Tetra species like Glo-lites, Black Neons, Green neons, and Ember Tetras. There are also smaller danio species that will stay closer to the bottom such as Glo-lites, Gold rings, CPDs and similar. Keep in mind that the Blue-eyes are usually gregarious feeders so you need to also have other species that are not timid feeders so that they can compete for the food.

Hope this helps. (y)

This makes sense, thanks! 10gal my only option, so the blue eyes and kubotai probably won't work well in that small space because they are both top dwelling. So hard to choose between them, though :blink:

This makes sense, thanks! 10gal my only option, so the blue eyes and kubotai probably won't work well in that small space because they are both top dwelling. So hard to choose between them, though :blink:

It's the curse of the small tank and usually the inoculation to a condition known as MTS ( Multi Tank Syndrome) ;) :lol: Most advanced aquarists have ALL gone through it so you are not alone. (y)

The chances are you will be able to get the Blue Eyes more easily than the kubotais so that may make your decision a bit easier but I would definitely stay with one or the other in a 10 gal tank and go with a bottom fish to round out the tank. (y)

It's the curse of the small tank and usually the inoculation to a condition known as MTS ( Multi Tank Syndrome) ;) :lol: Most advanced aquarists have ALL gone through it so you are not alone. (y)

The chances are you will be able to get the Blue Eyes more easily than the kubotais so that may make your decision a bit easier but I would definitely stay with one or the other in a 10 gal tank and go with a bottom fish to round out the tank. (y)

Haha yes I may be already falling victim! Thank you for the advice

Haha yes I may be already falling victim! Thank you for the advice

;) Don't feel bad. I was a victim myself when I was growing up. I had 20 tanks in my bedroom. :facepalm: I had to learn how to ignore all the bubbles so I could sleep. :blink: Good thing all the filters were air driven corner filters. If they were all canister or HOB style filters, I may have needed to pee endlessly. :eek: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom