Changing bacterial media as per manufacturer instructions. Really???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kindafishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I am thinking, if the goal is to get a viable and ample colony of bacteria going, why would you change the media and lose this after six months, as per the manufacturer's instructions?

I use bacti-stars in my filter : API Bacti Stars - APIRE731A - AquariumSuperstore - The UK's Leading Online Aquatic Retailer

Why would I want to do that, which would effectively get rid of the very bacteria I am aiming for in my tank cycling efforts??? Am I way off base here, or wouldn't it just be better to keep the same media forever? Or is that just gross??

My alternative solution would be to not change the 3 bacti-stars that I put in the filter at once, but do a sort of rotation, only changing one at a time every 6 (?) months?

Am I being silly? Experts?

I'd leave them there as long as you possibly can. If they get gunked up, rinse them in tank water and put them back in. Manufacturers of these products often recommend replacement at certain intervals but it's primarily just so you buy more of their product.

Yes. I don't know what that particular biomedia is exactly, but it looks like plastic bioballs which last forever. You should only change out biomedia when it is literally falling apart and disintegrating, otherwise just rinse it if it gets dirty and pop it back in.

I've been wondering the same about the Fluval Biomax in their filters. Seems to me I would leave them in as long as they are not falling apart. I had one ceramic tube break in half, but outside of that I wasn't planning to do anything besides a monthly rinse and let them keep working.

But, they (Fluval) recommends changing 1/2 the biomax every 6 months. Meaning that they are only utilizing the ceramic tubes about a year and alternating change-outs.

But, they (Fluval) recommends changing 1/2 the biomax every 6 months. Meaning that they are only utilizing the ceramic tubes about a year and alternating change-outs.

Hmm, interesting. I wonder why the manufacturer for the product I am using wouldn't suggest the same sort of thing. Changing all the media at once (and not say, 1/2 like yours says) just doesn't make any sense to me. AT ALL.

Thanks for your input

biomedia (bioballs, biomax, ceramic rings, matrix etc.... )should never be changed. Just washed in water from the tank.

Sometimes, media such as sponges or cartridges, act and serve both as mechanical media and biological media.
These too should be washed in water from the tank.

YES!

unless there is a disease in your tank, in which case I would throw away the media. Just in case any virus may still be lurking inside.

Interesting. But would that mean a whole new cycling process would be needed in that instance?

Interesting. But would that mean a whole new cycling process would be needed in that instance?

yes, this is why we try to avoid medications unless absolutely necessary.
Because it can wipe out all the good bacteria.

Thus, quarantining new fish, or buying from a respectable dealer, or having a separate hospital tank is recommended, to avoid an outbreak in the first place. It takes many weeks to build a strong bacterial colony and cycle the tank. We don't want that ruined.

bioballs, possibly stars, and other strange plastic media can lead to a pretty serious nitrate build up. Its possible that the manufacturer knows this, and is attempting to compensate. However, I personally believe they just want you to buy more every six months.

bioballs, possibly stars, and other strange plastic media can lead to a pretty serious nitrate build up. Its possible that the manufacturer knows this, and is attempting to compensate. However, I personally believe they just want you to buy more every six months.

Any working filter will create nitrate, as that is it's function. Changing out the bio media will not prevent nitrate buildup.Keeping the filter clean will reduce nitrate formation by reducing the amount of solids in the filter, and water changes will lower nitrate levels.

yes, this is why we try to avoid medications unless absolutely necessary.
Because it can wipe out all the good bacteria.

Thus, quarantining new fish, or buying from a respectable dealer, or having a separate hospital tank is recommended, to avoid an outbreak in the first place. It takes many weeks to build a strong bacterial colony and cycle the tank. We don't want that ruined.

So how exactly do you manage that? I mean, theoretically, that would mean that you would need to keep a second cycled tank ready permanently, filter running and everything. Only problem with that is that you would have to stock it w/ something live to keep the bacteria from dying off, right? So THEN that would mean that you need a minimum of 2 tanks, in case a fish in tank # one goes ill. BUT, when you put the sick fish from tank one into tank two, you infect whatever living creature you might have in there, and potentially kill off the bacteria from the hospital tank. And the whole mess starts all over again.

Seriously, how do you manage that? Am I not getting something here like seeing some sort of alternatives, because all that seems complicated; scratching my head here...

Really? How do you know this (source?). Not that I don't believe you, just would like to know more / know if I made a bad filter choice!

uh.oh... said:

Yes this is possible, that why you clean them in tank water every so often. As persay the advice listed above

ALL media can become nitrate factories!

The trick is to never let them reach that stage.
Poor maintenance and neglect will lead to waste building up on media.
If you wash and clean the media regularly, then nitrate won't have a chance to build up.

So how exactly do you manage that? I mean, theoretically, that would mean that you would need to keep a second cycled tank ready permanently, filter running and everything. Only problem with that is that you would have to stock it w/ something live to keep the bacteria from dying off, right? So THEN that would mean that you need a minimum of 2 tanks, in case a fish in tank # one goes ill. BUT, when you put the sick fish from tank one into tank two, you infect whatever living creature you might have in there, and potentially kill off the bacteria from the hospital tank. And the whole mess starts all over again.

Seriously, how do you manage that? Am I not getting something here like seeing some sort of alternatives, because all that seems complicated; scratching my head here...

You don't have to have a hospital/quarantine tank always running.

Just quickly set it up when you have new fish - All you need is a spare cheap filter (a 'corner filter' is perfect! they cost less than two dollars!) and heater.

It takes less than 5minutes to setup!
Just borrow some filter media from the main tank (e.g. a sponge, or some bioballs, or some filter wool etc...) and put it in the spare filter. And tah-dah, a cycled tank!

Back
Top Bottom