Changing gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jev12

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is the best way to change out your gravel....because in my six gallon fluval edge I have Farley large gravel and I would really like to change it out but like wats the best way to do it

But what should I do with the fish and everything in it

Remove the fish into a container with the tanks water. Drain the water down low and literally scoop out the old gravel with something like a small Solo cup so as not to scratch the acrylic. Then add the new substrate, then plants or decorations, then water BUT I would put at least 1/2 of the original water back in so as not to shock the fish with a huge change in water. If you don't have fish then it doesn't matter. Let the filter run about 30 minutes then add the fish back in.

What is the best way to change out your gravel....because in my six gallon fluval edge I have Farley large gravel and I would really like to change it out but like wats the best way to do it

Drain the tank water into an I'm used 5 gallon bucket you can lose a gallon or two if it then put your fish in the bucket . Remove the old gravel by hand I assume this will be difficult on the edge because of the opening. But keep your fish in a bucket with an air stone or if your filter will attach to the bucket not sure how the edge filter works.

Back
Top Bottom