Changing Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingdood

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to change my rocks out but I have a all planted tank and plenty of fish in the tank as well...How can I safely go about doing this??? just leave the fish in while I do it?? also will I have to recycle my tank ???

TIA !!

:D Removing rocks will have no effects on the water chemistry. I would use it as an opportunity to gravel vac where the rocks were. It's likely alot of detritus has accumulated under them. :wink:

Drain ~ half of your water into empty gallon jugs, or 5 gallon bucket/buckets. take your filter media out of your filter and put this in your tankwater you have just taken out. (this will help to keep the beneficial bacteria colony alive) take your plants out and throw them in the bucket of tankwater as well. If you can do this procedure fairly quickly, you'd be safe in netting your aquatic creatures and putting them in the water you took out of your tank and into the buckets. Remove all the gravel from your tank, as well as siphon the bottom of the tank. Rinse the new gravel, put it in your tank, then put some new water in your tank. (enough to come at least an inch or two above the new gravel line. Take your plants out of the buckets and replant them how you wish. Then siphon some of the old tank water back into your tank. When the water line is at least half of your tank, net your fish back into the tank and continue to fill it up. Try and make sure the new water you are putting in your tank is equivilent to the temp of the water that is in there already. Fill the tank up the rest of the way, put your filter media back in the filter, and you should be good to go.
Let us know how it went.
HTH
-Stewie

Back
Top Bottom