Cheap fish shipping prices????!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check your area for a fish club. You may find what you need among it's membership. As well, clubs have regular auctions where fish , sometimes rare ones, can be bought for very reasonable prices. The added bonus is you see what you are buying.

I checked my LFS last night that is like 40 mins away but they do free shipping on fish under $40. So I can get my cichlids for like $5-$10 instead of $40 for shipping them online.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

Westpot also has a purchase minimum before they will ship. A bit of underhanded businesses if you ask me. I mean if they only have 2 or 3 fish you need/ looking for and it doesn't meet their requirements, then your stuck ordering more that you don't want/need or not ordering at all.

If you are ordering fish this time of year you should be paying more anyway.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

The minimums are there for a reason. It's not necessarily about spending more money but making it worthwhile to ship. There's so much involved in shipping fish (in both time and expense) that it's just not worth it to a retailer to sell a few cheap fish at a time.

I don't have minimum orders in my business and I often get small orders. Some so small that shipping actually costs more than the item itself. That said, I don't mind doing them even though I put a lot more effort in packaging than it's really worth. However if I was doing 50 to 100 packages a day instead of 5 to 10, I'd have to add minimum order requirements in order to help maximize my time and effort.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree--I don't see how people make money selling fish, especially online. The profit must be very small. I mean, a lot of the fish I order are in the $3 or $4 range. Then there's a small shipping charge that I pay, of course, but the seller ends up only making a few dollars.

I agree--I don't see how people make money selling fish, especially online. The profit must be very small. I mean, a lot of the fish I order are in the $3 or $4 range. Then there's a small shipping charge that I pay, of course, but the seller ends up only making a few dollars.

There is little money to be made and a lot of overhead after you figure cost of feeding, meds for qt, water, electric and shipping supplies. Which now that I think about it jeta's point on order minimums makes sense now. I only sold local when I was breeding apistos so no shipping supplies there, but even then I still had an electric bill for 125+ heaters, lights and qt meds for wild fish. At the end of the month I was lucky if I pocketed 600 bucks. The only place I really saved myself was culturing live foods for all those fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom