Chili Rasbora Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZxC

Aquarium Advice Addict
Picked up some Chili rasboras the other day knowing that they may be picky eaters, and of course they are turning out that way. Lady at the store said they are all accepting dry foods. Anyway, about half of them will nibble as some micro pellets or crushed flake, but none are very actively eating. I do see them hunting for these micro bug things living in my plants though.

What do other people feed theirs? I was going to pick up a microworm culture, figured it would hurt to have that as a part of their diet.

Hi i keep chili and feed mine hikari micro pellets, Dennerle nanogran, frozen baby brine shrimp and live ( which they love) frozen and live daphnia and the odd feeding off frozen tubifex. In the morning its pellets and at night its frozen or live. Mine eat anything that i give them. But it took them a while to settle in so yours are probably the same. Give them time and just keep trying with the food they should settle down.

I just tried some omega micro pellets (crushed even smaller) and most of them ate a little. I'll pick up some live stuff and try and catch some of the little bugs (look like daphnia) and see if i can culture them out a bit.

Don't worry. They are new to tank and really not picky eaters. It depends what you mean by picky. There mouth is small hence they need micro food or flakes and they accept all brands easily. I feed mine hikari micro pellets and sera vipan flakes and they love all specially vipan flakes. Give them some time to adjust and they will start eating.

Frozen baby brine shrimp(BBS), a tiny amount at a time. One key thing is they don't seem to like eating of the substrate. So ideally you have a few minutes to feed them. Add a tiny amount of food, to get their attention, after a minute they start to realize it is feeding time, then sprinkle in a little bit of food, they eat, then repeat, etc.

Defrost all frozen foods, re-hydrate all dried foods too before feeding.

In a minute I will be feeding them BBS been defrosting in a plastic cup of tank water for an hour already. (Don't need to wait that long just how long I was busy with other things).

They can starve if the food is too big for their mouth. Crumbled flakes but be cautious for water to stay in excellent conditions. My standard feed is the Hikari micro pellets crushed/rubbed between my fingers, plus all sorts of freeze dried and frozen foods will be appreciated.

They like the water a bit softer, like subdued light, and a variety of plants and even floating stem plants to feel extra secure.

Just wanted to update and you guys were spot on!

They basically eat anything they can get in their mouths now and have colored up nicely.

Glad to know. They are very beautiful peaceful fish. Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom