Cichlids in a 15 gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was shocked today to go into my psychiatrist's office and see a 15 gal. tank with SIX cichlids in it! They are all about 2.5-3" long, the biggest being slightly larger. Last time I was there, they had goldfish in there. Next time, it was goldfish AND cichlids. Obviously, the fish have been dying, because there are always new ones--don't they have a clue? They have a HOB filter and an air bubbler, but only ONE hide (that's all the room they have for one, actually), and the biggest cichlid was guarding it to the point of chasing any fish that got within 6 inches of it. And there was NO place for the others to hide. One was head-down against the corner of the tank, in some sparse plants, obviously scared to death. I saw chasing and bullying among the other five too. I mean, a 15 gallon, IMO is not large enough for even ONE cichlid, unless it was an apisto, or something small. I have kept my mouth shut about it, but am surprised other patients have not set the office straight about either getting rid of most of the fish or getting a MUCH larger tank. I felt sorry for the bullied ones. Sorry, just had to vent.

It is quite nerve racking... Whenever I see a case like this I have a mind to speak to the manager or whoever is in charge Over it.

Caleb

My kids' school has a tank in the front office. It looks about 40 gallons. It has 2 large oscars, 2 giant silver looking fish (not sure what they are, but they are at least 8" long and 6" tall) and several big kissing gouramis. They are so crammed that they have a hard time moving around. The art teacher in my school has a 55g that is filled only half way (drives me crazy) and the glass is so dirty you can barely see what is in it. And don't get me started on the science teacher's room ... Lol

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'd be calling PETA on them! That's just not fair to those fish it's amazing they are alive.

Caleb

My kids' school has a tank in the front office. It looks about 40 gallons. It has 2 large oscars, 2 giant silver looking fish (not sure what they are, but they are at least 8" long and 6" tall) and several big kissing gouramis. They are so crammed that they have a hard time moving around. The art teacher in my school has a 55g that is filled only half way (drives me crazy) and the glass is so dirty you can barely see what is in it. And don't get me started on the science teacher's room ... Lol

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Same story at my school, the elementary has a nice mbuna tank but they also have a FOWLR that is not to par. The high school has 2 55s with koi and shubunkins and you can't see an inch inside of there

You guys see these problems and are all experienced and knowledgeable... why not offer some aquarium services? Stocking, maintenance, and advice. You could make a little money, educate people on proper techniques, and make some fish happier

You guys see these problems and are all experienced and knowledgeable... why not offer some aquarium services? Stocking, maintenance, and advice. You could make a little money, educate people on proper techniques, and make some fish happier

9 times out of 10 they get offended that you call them out and dismiss anything you say because they don't want to admit they don't know what they're doing

Keep calm and drum on

9 times out of 10 they get offended that you call them out and dismiss anything you say because they don't want to admit they don't know what they're doing

Keep calm and drum on

I have seen this ^^^ too many DANG times. People don't want to admit they are wrong and the fish pay the price.

Caleb

Keep calm and drum on

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

The only thing I do know is that coming on to a forum and complaining about it accomplishes absolutely nothing 100 times out of 100.

It's our duty as conscientious members of the aquaria community to educate others when it's needed.

The only thing I do know is that coming on to a forum and complaining about it accomplishes absolutely nothing 100 times out of 100.

It's our duty as conscientious members of the aquaria community to educate others when it's needed.

It does serve a purpose as a reminder that we are their caretakers and we should teach others to be responsible owners as well.

Caleb

I know where you're coming from. Walking through Walmart I cringe every time I see their fish tanks. Either it's massively over stocked or half the fish are dead but you know trying to inform them won't do anything for them because they see fish as an item rather than a life. Same with most office tanks they just get the pretty looking fish and don't care about their health

Keep calm and drum on

I know where you're coming from. Walking through Walmart I cringe every time I see their fish tanks. Either it's massively over stocked or half the fish are dead but you know trying to inform them won't do anything for them because they see fish as an item rather than a life. Same with most office tanks they just get the pretty looking fish and don't care about their health

Keep calm and drum on

I believe those are two separate issues tbh. The marketing of bettas will only be changed through proper legislature. We need more aquarists in politics.

Individual owners are by and large caring but uneducated but it usually needs to be approached with a bit of tact. I can't even begin to count how many fish I killed before I found Aquarium Advice due to not knowing how to care for fish and I would have been more than happy to have someone teach me.

Bingo.

It's terrible that these establishments, friends, family, instagrams, etc have poorly stocked tanks but it also becomes tiresome seeing complaint/vent threads take up valuable space on a forum dedicated to those seeking advice.

"Be the change you want to see in the world."

Mebbid, I did the same thing. When I was in my 20s, I had two tanks (a 20 and a 40, I believe) and this was before the internet days, so all I had to go on were outdated library books, and I killed countless fish. Couldn't understand why they kept dying. Now that I'm in my 50s and have the internet, I see how many things I did wrong. No nitrogen cycle, first and foremost, no Prime, (I think they only had Stress Coat back then, not that one is "better" than another, but I didn't use ANYTHING) or any kind of water conditioner, not enough hiding places, no live plants, and I could go on.

Back
Top Bottom