clean up crew?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A pleco is good enough, just keep up on water changes and vacuum the substrate. Don't get a common pleco, they will soon be much to large for that tank.

--Adeeb

Although a pleco would work just fine it may be a good idea to look into cory cats. They school in most any number but 3-5 is good and they will be forever searching your substrate for food.

Better idea: don't feed and keep up on maintenance. Don't expect your fish to keep your tank tidy. If you have extra food on the bottom, then you're overfeeding.

Go with just the pleco, assuming that's the fish you want. That's the only and best reason to get any given type of fish.

I agree with pufferman. I will take it a little further.

I wouldnt even get a pleco. A school of corys or loaches will clean up your substrate and help prevent build up. But you still HAVE to gravel vac at least once a month. No fish eats poop and it will build up and mess with the water paramaters.

Better idea: don't feed and keep up on maintenance. Don't expect your fish to keep your tank tidy. If you have extra food on the bottom, then you're overfeeding.

Go with just the pleco, assuming that's the fish you want. That's the only and best reason to get any given type of fish.

+1 ~~ now I don't have to tax my brain cells thinking of how to phrase all this. ;)

Never get a fish to do a "job". Get a fish because you love the species.

Yes you definitely need to realize that the clean up crew poops a lot and create a lot of waste. But if you want something to fill the space on the bottom, I do love corys. Shrimp are good too and have a low bioload and ate a ton of fun to watch, unless your other fish eat them.

Back
Top Bottom