Cleaning my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magnaflow

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys new to all of this and just wondering. I got a 55 gallon tank with real plants (if that matters) and I was wondering how often to clean the tank. Like when should I gravel Vac and whats the right way to change the water..Empty half then add half? Also add the Tap water stuff each time? maybe some link would help me too. Also I have a 10 gal tank I havent set back up yet should I do that and keep them there while I clean it?

well basically with plants you could do it less as long as they are established and growing well, when you clean the gravel becareful of the roots. I would say at least once a week, but it also depends on how many fish you have in your tank. Give me all your info you can on your tank and we can see whats up and how we can help you more.

WELCOME TO AA :smilecolros:

thanks for the welcome :) Ok heres the specs. Its a 55 gallon with gravel. Around 10 plants of different kinds. Most of them are in pots under the gravel. Feeding them with just flakes for now. Fish I have are 2 Three Spot Gourami, 10 neon tetras, 5 tigerbarbs,plecto,2 corys. 2 of the plants are pretty big. I also added some plant gro stuff to the water. Tanks been runnig awhile just added fish a week and half ago.
heres a pic.

I would guess that most people do a 20% pwc about once a week. (Take out 20% of the water, then add that amount back in from your tap.) If your tap water has chlorine in it you will need to add a dechlorinator every time you change your water. (I'm guessing this is the "tap water stuff" you asked about.) A lot of city water also has chloramine in it, so make sure your dechlorinator takes care of this, too. (I believe most do.) I personally do a gravel vac every time I change my water, vacuuming a different part of the tank each time, so that in a month I have covered the entire tank at least once.

This is pretty general advice. What really determines how often you should do a pwc is the level of nitrates in your water. High levels of nitrates are harmful to your fish, and by changing part of the water you reduce the amount of nitrates in the tank. Anything over 40 ppm is considered harmful. I personally try to keep my tank under 20 ppm. If you are unfamiliar with nitrates, check out the nitrogen cycle article here or this article.

Your tank looks very nice! I especially like the pinkish-red rock right in the middle and the wood to the right of it.

cool man thanks a lot for your help.I am due for a water change this weekend I think so I will try it then. You will see more of my post asking questions though :p And hopefully my plants go in good will fill the tank nice

Back
Top Bottom