Clear Up My Confusion: Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigJim

Aquarium Advice Addict
Exactly how sensitive are discus?

I'm under the impression that a discus tank would be as much or more work than a saltwater tank. Are RO water, buffer mixing, and constant water changes really necessary to maintain healthy discus?

I've also heard that GBRs are sensitive, yet they're doing fine in my tank. How do discus compare?

Will be following also.

As I see it, it is the Juvi's (Wild or Tank bred) and the wild caught that are more sensitive and need perfect conditions, such as doing water changes very often.

Ive also heard that the Tank breed adult discus dont need as much water changes as they do when young, possibly 2 25% water changes per week or 1 50% per week.

Someone might have more knowledge on this subject, so wait for more input

By no means an expert, but I did extensive research on then earlier this year before deciding they were not for my lifestyle.

The wilds are definetly more sensitive to water conditions, I would stay away from them to start off, and go with a good quality known breeder, as half the time the trouble starts from not getting good stock to begin with. The babies/juvies require excellent water conditions in order to not stunt their growth, its why you hear of people doing daily 90% water changes for young discus, but the more mature adults can handle a bit more, from my understanding a large weekly water change would suffice, you want to keep your nitrates around 10ppm or under, from my understanding of saltwater its 5ppm? so I dont think its as bad as salt.

As far as stocking, 1 per 10 gallons seems to be the rule, and ofcourse over filtration of the tank also helps, you want your water temp as high as possible, most of the expert discus keepers I know keep it around 88, you can keep it lower, but it slows the metabolism, again stunting growth, good tank mates include cardinals and rams, cardinals are shown to actually help the high nervousness of discus and get them to come out and show themselves more.

Dark colors on a discus is bad, it means they are not happy and you need to look into your water parameters or stress, if you need any more information, just pm me and I can direct you towards some excellent discus breeders and information sites where discus is a huge passion!

Forgot to add, discus do like soft water, so depending on your water quality you may need some buffers, I believe ideal conditions are around PH 6.5, GH5, KH3, RO water is unecessay unless your water quality is bad out of the tap, here in BC our water tests out at KH0, GH0, PH 6.8 so I have to buffer mine up to avoid a PH crash, whats your water like in your neck of the woods?

Some really good advice on discus here and I can honestly say even though they are probably the best looking tropical fish I will never have them, they are hard work and if you have any commitments or are a busy person this tank is virtually impossible

I don't think Discus are too difficult. I've got a discus tank right now, I still don't think I'm ready for a saltwater tank though. I think the sensitive discus are the wild ones, I believe the tank bred strains are much heartier. I'm a full time student and I still have time in my schedule to maintain my discus tank, no problems so far with them being difficult.

I'm planning on having discus. So, I'm going to be following this thread:reading:

Back
Top Bottom