Cleveland metroparks stuff from the river, is it ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should i use stuff from my Local river?

• yes,k it should be safe as long as you thoughroly clean it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO, stop thats HIGHLY dangerous and should not be attempted!

• Go ahead and do it!!! you dont even need to clean it!

• Total voters

virus

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey everyone soon im going to the metroparks to get som rocks and mabe find some cool plants and rocks for my 29 and 10!! yeah im going to the metroparks river in cleveland ohio, or acctually parma but its about the same. anyone have any experience with anything related to takeing from river to aquarium, fish rocks plant etc? once i get them home im going to clean and QT first. and anyone can find any info on what runs in rivers around me? im going to try to search tonight

From what I have read in a few books. NO! You take a major risk of introducing disease into your tank if you take, rocks, plants, and fish from the wild. You can clean the rocks pretty easily though.

I wouldn't. You run the risk of getting rocks that will infect your tank, or alter your water chemistry too. Run-off from pesitcides, chemicals, road treatments, etc is a major concern in taking rocks and plants from a local stream.

If you want to add rocks, I would make sure you boil the rocks for about an hour and then QT them, just to be safe. I wouldn't add plants though, or fish...too risky.

agreed, i just took a couple rocks and im going to boilem for like 1 hour, then set them to fry then boilem lol

Back
Top Bottom