Cloudy Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptnIgnit

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've experienced cloudy water before, but I'm kinda stuck on what this one is.

Little back story, I have a 20g planted tank that has been setup and going for a few months now. A little over a week ago I cleaned out some hornwort and cleaned off some of the green spot algae that had built up. The next morning I noticed some cloudiness in the water and checked ammonia/nitrites to see if it was a bacteria bloom (both read 0). I then did a water change to see if it was maybe some of the small particles that got kicked up from disturbing the tank the day before.

As the days have passed, the cloudiness has only gotten worse. Ammonia and Nitrites are still 0, and none of the fish or shrimp appear to be acting any different so I believe the water parameters are ok but I'm scratching my head as to what the cloudiness is.

Some other type of bacteria? some type of algae (its a white cloudiness so its not green water algae).

Thanks

hmmmm... maybe rinse your filter in old tank water and see if that works. id do 2 50% water changes two to see if that works.

From what you've said, can't help with a diagnosis, sorry. But in any case, the usual response to a bacterial bloom or an outbreak of algae should make it less ugly to look at.

Do a series of large PCWs over a one and a half - two week period. Do 70% on day 1, 30% day 2, 70 day 3 and that *should* remove the bulk of it. Then 30% every second day for the next week or so.

Can you take a photo by chance?

This happened with my tank I did a 50% water changes every other day. But ultimately you can just wait until it clears up. Mine took about 2 weeks to get fully cleared up. After the first week go back to your regular cleaning and wait. However if the fish start gasping at the surface then you will have to take as much of the water out as you can and "start fresh" with water.

Back
Top Bottom